1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Phishing malware targets Torrent users

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Byteman, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/0...-beware-malware-tries-and-succeeds-to-extort/

Now they are holding pirates up with a fake lawsuit notice...

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Another reason why I don't use torrents :)

3. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

me either

4. perfume

perfume Banned

Thank God,i downloaded all the songs i liked a long time back, much before the music industry woke up! Now i have learnt my lessons and anyway the new music isn't worth a hear, except for Josh Groban(what a divine voice,mamma mia!). If one clicks on the link ByteMan has given, it will take you to the "article" and details about the scam. There, if you happen to click on "their link">>>>this is the WOT score of the link is: :eek::eek: Thumbnails :

PS: My browser is in a sandbox, my Key Scrambler is on, and i am testing a VPN(free). Still seeing the second thumbnail's WOT score, is scary and a lesson that not to open any link without right-clicking and check out the site!

Attached Files:

5. antech

antech Banned

Anyway,I will surely continue using Torrents............(for legal things)
    BTW, does anybody thinks that the Piracy thing will stop this way??
    Surely NOT.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

No, I don't believe it would stop some people..... but it is what it is- just a reminder or warning of a possible effect to your computer. It's not meant to kill the legal use of Torrents....even the owner of TechGuy.org realizes there are legal uses.

We're just trying to show people in advance of them getting infected, an example of one way it's done.

7. perfume

perfume Banned

The malware and Rootkits infecting the PC by visiting a torrent site has increased manifold! Especially, Rootkits, they were not around when i was a bad boy, but now "these real nasties" require you to re-install your OS!
    Regarding the legality of torrents,it goes something like this>>>>>
    QUOTE "The technology is legal. BitTorrent is legal. Torrents are legal. But using bitTorrent or any other technology to download copyrighted material that you don't have the right to is not."UNQUOTE. Source : http://ask-leo.com/is_it_illegal_to_download_torrent_files.html

As many of us know downloading Linux flavours as a torrent is perfectly legal!

The first English song i heard was a "Jim Reeves" song "In the misty moonlight"(My uncle made me listen to it--this guy keeps popping up, he is in the Military as a full-colonel and helped me get over the dark nights of despair when i was diagnosed as a "juvenile diabetic"). The Great singer died in a plane crash and i don't really know whether downloading his songs were illegal or not(most probably illegal). So, that's how my sugar-free cookie crumbles!:)(y)

8. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear friends,
    I have added two photographs of the medical school i am selected to enter! It was a super-tough entrance test, and guess i was lucky to get selected. Dad says all the intelligence is in His genes and mom is worried to bits as to how i will cope up there on my own! My friend told me that the first year exams are a real rigorous and the professors try to filter out all but the best. So, i need all the luck in the world and the blessings of Jesus and the elders in the forum!

9. antech

antech Banned

I am not an elder but still a 18year old boy....
    BTW,Best of Luck!

10. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear antech,
    Thanks a lot mate! They really matter!:)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice