1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Primary Slave not recognized by Win98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gbmarzen, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbmarzen

gbmarzen Thread Starter

I'm trying to replace an original HD with a new HD. I thought I could set-up the new one as slave and copy all files to the new drive and then replace the original drive.

So far I have installed the new HD downstream on the ribbon cable from the original. I set the jumper to slave on the new HD. I removed the power cable from a Zip drive because I didn't have an additional power source.

When I boot up and go into BIOS (or CMOS) whichever it is I see the original HD as Primary Master and the new HD as Primary Slave. Everything looks okay, right?

But when Win98 boots up I don't see any sign of the new HD. On some advice I received from a chat room I added "lastdrive=Z" to my config.sys file but that didn't help.

I read some other posts here and went into the device manager screen and I see two entries for GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 47. The first one has a current drive letter assignment of C: and the second one doesn't have an assignment (it's grayed out, I tried to type something in and it wouldn't take).

In other posts I have read that a new HD set-up disk is required. But I also read that if I am replacing my old disk and am just going to copy all file from master to slave that it wasn't necessary?

I hope I'm not rehashing an old problem but I couldn't find the answer in the other posts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike Scott

2. thib4

thib4

with a new harddrive, even though it is not a primary it has to be fdisked and formatted.
    be careful not to fdisk and format the wrong hd

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice