1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new printer, old computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anglin_fool, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anglin_fool

anglin_fool Thread Starter

hey yo,

I have a Windows ME computer that runs great. no need for a new one, except...

Everything now wants :mad: XP, Vista, 2000 or (yuk) Linux. :(

The printer is an HP7555 Officejet Pro that my dad got for his Vista machine. The website for HP doesn't offer any help. I hate Bill Gates.

Any ideas? besides buying a new computer.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How's that a Microsoft problem? Its HP that didn't make drivers for it and most manufacturer's no longer support Windows 98/ME. If you look around you can still find some printers that do support Windows ME, like some Brother units or older stock from HP, Canon, or Epson.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Windows 98 and Me support became offically dead about 3-4 years ago. If a manufacture supports Win98(Me) - then consider it a plus.

Currently in the world market - the Win98 usage is about 1~2%. It's been 8 years since WindowsXP first hit the market.

Brother is about the ONLY company that supports Win9x in their current Multi-function products. HP, Canon, Epson... not any more. This also includes Laser printers. BTW: Top end Brother products no longer support Win9x either - but these are $400+ hardware.

Well... one of the few people with a good "ME" computer... Vista is the new "ME" - so now maybe a good time to upgrade :) $400~600 gets a lot of PC nowadays...

4. anglin_fool

anglin_fool Thread Starter

I knew HP, along with my other new toys that can hook up to computers to make life easier, wouldn't have anything for my old OS . What I was hoping for was a link to a third party that had a driver that would work.

I have 7 computers running ME, XP and Vista in the house. All of them run perfectly, except for ME being non-supported. It is my favorite one to use. (I built it) The Vista machine is the slowest, go figure.

5. Compiler

Compiler

There is very rare 3rd party drivers for multifunction printing devices... they are rather "custom" and the companies don't usually share (or need to share) their software tech info with others.

For vista to run good... you need a really good dual core CPU at least... and 2~4GB of RAM.... and from my own experince... it still sucks.

6. vicks

vicks

Don't know if this will work but you might try www.dirverguide.com. It is free to use but you must register....
    Vicks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice