1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by CallMac, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CallMac

CallMac Thread Starter

I am about to buy a new printer to use to print digital photos from my Olympus camera and would appreciate any suggestions on which Make/Model to buy or avoid,also is it true that dedicated photo printers cannot be used for printing text?
    Price about £100/£150,any input appreciated.
    regards CallMac

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Lexmark 5150

I saw some digital pictures printed on this one and they were very good. As you can see it's an all in one, so it scans, faxes and yes you can print plain text with it.

Current price I've seen here in the states is $119.00

3. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Here is a link to a HP Photosmart printer, it is what I have. It has several handy features such as direct input of memory cards and a LCD screen to print photos directly from the printer, the PC need not even be on, it will also print 4"x6" photos with the push of a button, check it out..Rhett

4. slipe

slipe

If your old printer does text OK you can have it hooked up at the same time as a photo printer. I have my general purpose printer set as default and it is easy to change the printer for photos. My 6 year old HP 722 had exactly the same black print heads and text resolution as the newer HPs. You don’t necessarily improve your text with a newer printer. It is the color and photo quality that has dramatically improved.

6 color photo printers do a nicer job than 4 color general purpose printers on photos, but the text tends to be weak. HP has inexpensive printers that you can swap out ink tanks between GP and 6 color photo use. But the ink cost for text is very high with the pigmented black tank holding only 17Ml of ink. And photo ink costs are high as well. The 7350 is probably within your price range, but consider the added cost of buying the extra tanks which I don't think come with the printer. I have refilled my HPs for years with quality ink and had good results, but if you don’t plan to refill I would avoid HP.

Canon printers are much cheaper to operate than Epson or HP. Lexmarks are off the wall with ink use. Canon printers are also easy to refill. If you don’t intend keeping your old printer operating consider the Canon i850: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/canon_i850.html Jump straight to the conclusions page if you just want an overview. If you do intend keeping your old printer for text I think the best 6 color Canon you can afford is the best bet. The i950 is incredible but probably out of your price range. But there are cheaper Canons that give good quality. Epson makes nice photo printers for the price, but they use more ink and can’t be easily refilled like the Canons. Epson makes 6 color photo printers with pigmented ink which is superior, but I don’t think there are any within your price range. http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html

Be aware that if your Oly uses xD cards none of the card readers built into photo printers will read your card. It is a waste of money to get the capability in the printer if you have xD. They do read SM if you have an older Oly. I’m too cheap to print directly from the card to the printer anyway without taking the images into the computer for cropping and tweaking – not to mention easy sorting. Once you see how much it costs to print photos you will probably come to the same conclusion. In the US it is cheaper to take them to WalMart for printing than print yourself with factory ink and quality paper.

5. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Slipe :) I agree with you about importing the photos to the PC for editing...however, the wife has little computer skills and even less time, as she uses the camera for work and just needs general floor plan shots, sooooo it is perfect for her.
    The HP prints excellent photo's also, and I've been happy with it :)

6. CallMac

CallMac Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I now have more idea of what to look for before purchasing,ie:- No of cartridges/type and cost of ink/pages per minute ect.ect.so I will follow the links and have a look at the specs. and prices of the different makes/models,once again thanks for the input to my query,much appreciated.
    regards CallMac (y) (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!