1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New problem, this time with cd-rw

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dickster, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Seems I'm having lots of problems. Now my cd-rw is acting up. It's a LITE-ON LTR-32123S about 1 1/2 yrs old. Came installed in my VPR Matrix 2020 system, and has never given me any problems until now.

Now, when I use any burning prog (nero, roxio, and several free ones) it keeps asking me to insert blank cd. Have tried different brands of cd-r and cd-rw disks, but doesn't help. It can read disks just fine, but won't burn any.

I've tried uninstalling in device manager, and letting windows reinstall. Tried newest firmware, and lens cleaning disk. Not sure what else to do.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! :)

2. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--Sounds lik u just hav a problem w/ the burning laser of the drv.
    That'd be my guess since more than one softwr burning applic is givin u the same prompt. They don't last forever. Had one crap out on me just a few mos. ago. It was an Acer 10x8x32 and like urs was very reliable for at least 2 yrs. At least ur's still reads the
    disc's. Mine quit workin all together.

3. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Figured it was dead, but just trying for second opinion. When I bought it, got the extended warranty from Best Buy. That was before they worked on (screwed up) my Compaq. Don't think I'm going to let them work on this system, so guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a sale on burners.

Thanks again!! :)

4. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

your welcome. My burner was still recognized under Dev Mngr and the read light would come on when u put a disc in. It just wouldn't recogniz that there was a disc in the Drv and so consequentially u couldnt run a burn appl. as well.

There is 1 more thing u can try but in ur case i don't think it will matter. But, if u can spare the time.....open the drv and after locating the laser giv it a couple of shots with a can of compressed air so as to clean the laser. Sometimes this can clean a laser in such a way that a cleaning disk won't. Giv it a try if time alots for it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice