1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New processor and chip troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RipCurl, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I really hope someone can help me with this. Up until today I have been running the below configuration without any problems what so ever.

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ (333FSB)
    Memory: Corsair 1GB DDR XMS2700 TwinX (2x512MB) Platinum CAS2
    Graphics Card: Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro
    Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    PSU: Antec Performance True 430W
    Windows XP Professional Ver 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1

I have just bought an Athlon XP3200+ (400FSB) and 2 sticks of Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200 TwinX (2x512MB) Platinum CAS2. I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone by reinstalling Windows just after installing the new hardware. Before I actually went ahead and formatted, I noticed that the post screen said the correct processor spec (Athlon XP3200+) and what frequency the memory was set at (200)

The problems started trying to reinstall XP. It took 4 tries to get it installed, as it kept on restarting at different times. When I finally got it installed, the restarts have kept on happening at random times. I have these settings in the bios: CPU External Freq (mhz) 200 / CPU Frequency Multiple 11 (auto)/ Memory Frequency Auto (by spd 200mhz)

I have the latest drivers installed for all my hardware including the mainboard, and I also have the latest bios installed, which I did a few days ago without any problems (i think) using the ASUS Update utility. I have also noted that the CPU temperature when idle is about 37 deg c and the motherboard is about 25 deg c The only way I can use the computer for any lenght of time, is to set the processor to 166 instead of 200

Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be, or what other information I could provide which may mean something to someone?

Best Wishes
    Derek

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Are you running the ram at default voltage? Try upping the dimm voltage a bit.

Turn off the automatic reboot on error in both the bios and XP, maybe you'll get a blue screen that will give more info.

3. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

First off thanks for the reply. I turned off automatic reboot and ran the latest 3d mark, which had crashed after about 30 esconds every time I had ran it so far. It ran for about 30 seconds again but this time it just froze solid. I hit return a few times and it crashed back to the desktop. I have also noted these settings in the bios:

with the processor at 200Mhz:
    sdram active precharge delay 8
    sdram ras to cas delay 3
    sdram ras precharge delay 3
    sdram cas latency 3t

with the processor set to 166, the precharge delay changes to 7

cpu vcore 1.650v
    ddr reference voltage 2.6
    agp vddq voltage 1.5

One other thing i just noticed was when I double clicked on the 3d mark icon to launch the program, there were 2 short beeps followed by 2 more coming from the motherboard, then the program started.

Best Wishes
    Derek

4. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

Sorry about the double post, but I have just finished running Memtest on both sticks of memory at the same time and all the tests finished ok. I take it then that the processor may be the cause of my problems. Does anyone know what kind of tests I can run to establish whether the processor is at fault, or any other tests I can run? this is the worst case senario: spending money I dont really have on something that does not work. Any feedback would be great. Please

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Given the nature of the problem, and what you have done prior to it starting I would suspect that the CPU is going over temperature on load.

Underclocking the CPU means it runs much cooler.

Look at your heatsinking/thermal paste etc.

6. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

I checked the temp in the bios and after about 30 mins it was sitting at around 36 deg (idle). My previous chip XP2600+ sat around 50 deg (idle) Do you think installing XP would cause it to overheat?

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try running a pencil eraser over the memory and video card pins.. Is there any chance your video card could be overheating?

8. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

To be honest I haven't looked at my video card to check for that. It has been fine for nearly a year now, and I was concentrating on the new hardware because that seemed the most obvious. Do you know of any utility's I could download to check the temp of the card? I have the memory installed in slot 1 and 3 to utilize the dual-channel feature, but did try taking the memory out of slot three in case that did anything but it made no difference

9. RipCurl

RipCurl Thread Starter

I have installed ASUS Probe to see wheather there was anything obvious there, but everything seems fine. MB temp = 22c CPU temp = 36c and the voltages are as follows
    +12 volts = 12.096
    +5 volts = 4.945
    +3.3 volts = 3.28
    Vcore = 1.68

I also tried increasing the ddr voltage from 2.6 to 2.7 which made no difference :/

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice