new processor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ian.p.h

I have 633 celeron with 512 megs of ram and was wondering what type and size of processor I would have to upgrade to before it would make any significant difference. thank you

Hi, welcome to the forum:)

What performance issues are you currently experiencing? I just ask because often, there is a misconception that processor speed makes all the difference. What types of functions do you want sped up? What do you use your computer for? (ie-graphic design, games, accounting, etc..).
I think that a Pentium processor ranging from 800-1000 Mhz should be an improvement, due to the increased cache. But it would only be noticeable for certain functions. (In other words, your internet downloads won't speed up).

Please post back with a bit more info.

ian.p.h

well I use office 2000 a lot, play quit a bit of games, listen to music. Stuff like that, I just thought that by upgrading to a faster cpu that things would run a little smoother. right now I get some choppiness when playing games or listening to music wile trying to use office, or retrieving my emails. thank you for responding so quickly

Hey,

No prob. Well, I guess all of those functions could be improved with a processor upgrade (except for the e-mails).
Have you checked your motherboard specs. for compatibility? If you're upgrading the processor, that's going to be a factor, (as to how much you can upgrade).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online