1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ian.p.h, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian.p.h

ian.p.h Thread Starter

i just put in a new cpu,1gig celeron, and was wondering what i need to set the multyplier to. i thought it should go to 10 because the bus speed is 100 mhz but in the bios it wont goe above 8x any help would be great.

2. angel

angel

What board do you have?

3. ian.p.h

ian.p.h Thread Starter

thanks for the quisk response. i have housten tech 754

4. redfrost

redfrost

i just looked up your motherboard it only supports up to a 800 celeron

look for yourself

http://www.pcchips.com/index2.html

click on socket 370 in the menu and your board is there.... sorry only 800 max for a celeron

5. deuce

deuce

Also... you can't change the multiplier. It's a safeguard from Intel to keep you from o/c'ing and from counterfeiting. They would rather you buy a new one instead of making your old one go faster... eh, go figure. I think yours is at 9.5. When you o/c on a board with an intel chipset you have to change the fsb to change the speed. So I take it you decided to upgrade instead of o/c? Wise choice if you don't want to risk losing the processor... but it seems it isn't being used anyway and you bought a new. At this point you might be better off o/c'ing with that 633 and then you can return the 1 Ghz... especially since it doesn't work on your board.

6. brianF

brianF

Your multiplier should be at 10. 10 x 100 =1 gig

7. ian.p.h

ian.p.h Thread Starter

heres my question, if the multiplier is locked internally it shouldn't matter what I set the multiplier at in the bios. that my a real dumb question but.... the reason I I choose to put a 1 gig celeron in is that the store I bought my computer at told me that it run with that chip in, I let them install it. one more thing, is there a utility that will tell what the cpu is running at. I have used a few and they said that it was running at 100fsb and stepping at 10.

8. brianF

brianF

9. ian.p.h

ian.p.h Thread Starter

thank you all for your help. i went to wcpuid and ran it and it said that the internal clock was running at 1002.26mhz and bus speed is 100.23mhz and the multipier is 10. Thanks for you help

10. deuce

deuce

Sorry... I had the impression it wasn't working and that was what you were trying to fix... and then read the thing about the 1 Ghz not being supported. Happy Holidays to you and yours and good luck in all your future computing... :)

Brian... I also downloaded wcpuid. Nice program... thanks for the link. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice