1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PSU Help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mawer IV, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need a new PSU, I think from past experience it needs to be 600W+ but if I don't need that much or I need more please say. Also I'm on a budget, but that doesn't mean that I want the cheapest. I'm not sure what it is in dollars but something around £50-80, I suppose with the pound being about 2 dollars that's about $100-160.

So can you think of any especially good brands or something that I need to look out for when I buy my PSU like it being SLI ready.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Good brands;

PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Zippy, Silverstone, Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, Thermaltake.

3. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

Thanks, do I need 600W? Or more?

4. ste2223

ste2223

It all depends on what your powering e.g. 2 PCI-E graphics cards are going to consume more power than 1.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is for the system in your specs, I would say a 400W or so quality power supply would be fine. With a ps, quality is much more important than a wattage rating. I would rather have a 350W antec than a 500W raidmax, allied, foxconn, deer, etc.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

First of all, don't put a lot of emphasis on advertised wattage. Manufacturers play lots of games in their advertising as I said in post #16 of this thread;
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/582303-weird-power-supply-2.html

Secondly, I freely admit on my builds I overbuild when it comes to power supplies. I don't want a machine to hiccup at all from lack of power.

Third, I personally prefer power supplies with a large single +12v rail rather than multiple +12v rails. This is just my preference. In my opinion, PC POWER & COOLING and ZIPPY make the best single +12V rail power supplies. SILVERSTONE also has 3 or 4 models of single +12v rail power supplies and ULTRA also has single +12v rail power supplies although I am not a fan of ULTRA and do not recommend their products.

Many of the manufacturers I mentioned in post #2 have numerous models of multiple +12v rail power supplies available, and in my opinion they are all good products. You'll just have to decide how much power you are going to need, and make sure the power supply you buy is capable of providing adequate power for your application.

Just stay away from the cheap brands and you'll be OK.

7. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

OK so don't worry too much about the wattage it's just the first PSU I bought :
    http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=274474&CatId=1424
    Didn't really work, it started for a few seconds then shut off I thought that it didn't have enough wattage but I guess I'm not really sure. But when I bought a PSU with a higher wattage it worked.

But I won't just look for the high wattage ones.

How about any of these?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-023-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=
    http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=253098&CatId=0
    Thanks for any help.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Either one of the 2 you have listed are better than the Hiper. In this case the OCZ is a little cheaper and has better specs than the Antec, so I would probably go with the OCZ.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would never choose Ocz over Antec. Ocz is a newcomer and Antec is the "king" of this arena.
    The brand here traditionally has meant so much more than the specs anyway.

10. Compiler

Compiler

Mawer IV: By your specs, you have a Atrix 720W. Atrix is not a USA sold device. But by doing conversions, it is about twice the price of a Antec500... it among the lower cost PSUs, but shouldn't be "junk".

You have only a GF7300 card?

Rich-M: While in general I have the same feelings about companies being NEW to a market, such as EVGA now selling mobos (boxed by someone else - a mobo requires a far more complicated support system in my book) - OCZ has been making PSUs for a while... they are a HIGH end memory company for years and they have only been selling upper-end PSUs that are constantly being rated and reviewed above the quality of Antec.

Keep in mind... OCZ has bought PC P&C a few months ago... And will keep that company for the BEST stuff, but sell smaller/lower in models under the OCZ name.

11. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

So can anyone else come in here because I have Rich-M saying Antec is the best and
    Compiler saying that OCZ is just as good.
    I'm very grateful for anything that could help.

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

OCZ has been around for awhile now and make very good PSU's. Here is an article that might interest you Rich.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20070525163735.html

I am not posting this to be argumentitive by any means. I just found this interesting. I doubt the OCZ units are PCP&C built yet, but it is coming.

13. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All mfg whether ocz, antec, or whatever go through periods of poor design and or poor quality control. As long as you stay with a quality mfg and do not buy just released technology, you should be fine.

As to which one is "best" that is subjective at the very least.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thanks skivvy, I would not take that as argumentative at all and it's good to know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice