1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PSU, now computer not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Woody., Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Here's the bacground information. One day my old PSU stopped working and long story short, it broke. We sent it back to hiper (the company) and just today got a new one. After rewireing it back to the computer, it's not working. In the initial accident we're fairly certain only the PSU broke and the voltage is correct. Here are some images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks to anyone who helps out.

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi,

You haven't plugged in the CPU power supply plug. In the last image, see the sockect bottom left? There should be a lead with a plug that fits into it. That'll get you going.

3. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Hey usualsuspect. Thanks, however when I used my last PSU, that spot was vacent. There is a connector that goes to that soccet and I have tired it, but to no avail. It still doesn't work. Thanks anyway

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

ok, so what exactly is happening when you try to power up? Any sign of life?

5. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Nope, absolutly nothing. Power button is pressed and nothing happens. Do you want pictures of any other aspects?

6. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

May sound silly, but are you certain the supply to the psu is ok?

No sign of life at all - not even an attempt to spin the cpu fan for a fraction of a second, sounds terminal.

7. tommy656

tommy656

iam guessing this is an ATX amd 64 system (from the cpu fan) it needs a 12v supply.
    3rd photo down cable on the left is 12v power cable(4 pin).... put that in the socket (white 4pin) next to main mobo power (big black cable)
    not being rude have you pluged in, cable to Powersupply? switch on powersupply is set to on?

EDIT: i didnt read all of the above verywell...
    on the main mobo power cable, take off the little addon bit (that makes it 24pin) and put it in then with and without the 12v cable
    if that make sense...

8. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Already been there

9. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Thanks but nope. Tried all the combinations and still no joy. :S.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing we need to do is to find out if the power supply will start. If the power supply starts, it is NORMALLY good. This test will not tell you if the voltage is correct on all rails, but it will tell you if the power supply runs.

Unplug the power supply from the source and then unplug all the leads from the power supply that are connected.

With all leads from the power supply disconnected, take about 4" of #18 gauge wire and strip both ends so you have a "jumper" like the one shown in the attached pic. You may also be able to make a "jumper" out of a thin paper clip.

On the connector that connects to the motherboard put one end of the "jumper" in the hole where the GREEN wire connects and the other end in any hole where a BLACK wire connects. There should be a BLACK wire connector immediately adjacent to the GREEN wire connector. After the jumper is connected, plug the power supply into the source, and it should start up. If the power supply does not start up with the "jumper" properly in place, the power supply is defective.

Attached Files:

11. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try that. However the PSU is brand new and I imagine that Hiper test all of there PSUs so I do not see any reason why it would not work, but I will try your method, thanks.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Shhhsh, don't even start to believe that. :rolleyes:

13. tommy656

tommy656

14. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Hey win2kpro,
    Many thanks, I have tried that and I am fairly certain the PSU works. What advice do you have next?

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

Plug in the 24 pin mainboard connector, the +12v auxiliary connector (2 yellow wires and 2 black wires) to the 4 pin motherboard receptacle, and plug in the processor fan connector to the CPU fan connector on the board, and see if it will start up.

If not, you may have the front panel connectors connected correctly. What is the exact make and model of the motherboard?

Also, is this a custom built machine or a mass produced machine such as a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice