1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PSU on old mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qpzm3, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qpzm3

qpzm3 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have an old matsonic ms8308e socket A mobo which works with the PSU I have. I have also recently purchased an OCZ StealthXtreme 600W with a view to future mobo upgrade but would like to use with matsonic in meantime as its very quiet.

Unfortunately when the OCZ PSU is installed the fans run but PC doesn't Post or boot. I've read that some old mobo's need the -5V wire (white) connection to operate. Could this be the issue here?

If it is the -5V connection that is needed can I just run it to a ground wire (black) connection or to the PC chassis to ground?

I was using this PC as a project and upgrading over time but any help or references will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

gqpzm3 :)

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Yes, an old motherboard may very well need the -5v lead. If the motherboard requires
    a -5v lead, you need a power supply with a -5v lead for the board to operate.

3. qpzm3

qpzm3 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply win2kpro,

Is there any way to use the newer OCZ with this old mobo, maybe ground the unwired pin18 (vacant white pin).:)

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

No, ground is not -5v. -5v is negative current, just as is -12v is negative current. Current cannot be replaced by a ground.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice