1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PSU problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by widiot, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. widiot

widiot Thread Starter

I have just bought a new PSU for my PC. My PC is just a very basic setup with an old mobo(ECS GS7610),1GB of ram and runs OK using XP and the onboard graphics. Ive been having problems when I try to use the PCIE slot for a graphics card(PC boots but no picture on monitor) and after posting previously I should try a different PSU.

I decided on the Corsair CX430 which I have just tried out. My PC boots for a second(the fan spins) and then cuts out. After a quick bit of googling I see this is not that uncommon and have seen various fixes and ideas but just wanted some advice.

Its possible the new PSU is faulty as when I put the old one in I can still power up my PC no problem(so no short circuit or anything) but Im thinking that the PSU does some sort of check (something to do with ATX checking the standoffs) and that it gets a signal back off my mobo and shuts down. I dont want to go the trouble of returning my new PSU as faulty only to find its something at my end. The old PSU which still works is none branded of the cheap and nasty variety and I doubt has any ATX features

Any suggestions please.

2. dant22185

dant22185

How much power does the graphics card that you are using require? You may not have enough juice to run it. Also, what happens if you uninstall the graphics card and run the PSU with the onboard video?

3. widiot

widiot Thread Starter

I never made it clear in the original post but the new PSU was plugged in with no graphics card. It was connected to the bare minimum(HD/CD drive/24 pin to mobo +4 pin to mobo). The fan would spin once and then nothing-no display to monitor-no lights anywhere apart from a small LED lighting where the ethernet cable plugs in. With my original PSU my system works perfectly when connected the same way and this is a low quality PSU(unbranded). Im thinking its probabaly a bad PSU that Ive bought which would be just my luck as its the first time Ive ever bought a branded PSU instead of the cheapest one I could find.

4. widiot

widiot Thread Starter

Okay I just spoke to the place where I bought it and they seem to think that the PSU is incompatable with my mobo. I kind of thought that providing all the connectors were matched up then any PSU would work with any mobo. The full spec of my mobo can be found @

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...&CategoryID=1&MenuID=22&LanID=0#fragment-SPEC

The other thing Ive found by googling and suggested is that it could be a "grounding" issue with my mobo that other PSU's cant see. How would I find a "grounding" issue?

Failing that Im just going to have to buy a cheap PSU and hope that it works.

5. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

If your motherboard is using 24pin + 4pin connectors and the PSU is equipped for that then you should have no problems. The fact that the fan spins up for a moment, no display, no lights is a real sign that the PSU is shot. If I was you I'd get back on the dog n bone and tell them that its faulty. If this is a local place, get them to do a test on the PSU.

Corsair are a good brand so I'm guessing you got the dodgy, unlucky one. :(

If you can, push for an Antec.. They're top.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

You have the 4pin CPU power connector attached, correct?

7. widiot

widiot Thread Starter

Cheers. The shop said they will get it picked up tomorrow and then run tests on it when they get back next week. They have been good about it but did say they will charge me all the postage costs if it turns out not to be faulty. Ive replaced a few PSU's over the years and never had a problem and its just my luck that the first time I buy a decent one it decides to either be faulty or incompatable. In all honesty I will probably just buy another cheap unbranded one which will undoubtedly work for a few months then die-seems easier than getting one with all features that my mobo just doesnt like.

8. widiot

widiot Thread Starter

Yes,Ive tried various combos(as the corsair PSU has 2x4 pin connectors) and none of them work for me. Like I said the old PSU still works but I think its a bit unstable(hence me buying a new one) as I cant get any graphics card to work with it and wasnt sure if its a bad PCIE slot or not. I posted a few weeks back and it was suggested that it was most likely to be PSU related and to try that first. I run my PC "barebones" using the onboard graphics and it runs ok,but struggles with flash and cant TV out with it,hence me wanting to throw a cheap low end graphics card with HDMI(Geforce 8400GS). I havent even tried the graphics card with the new PSU,as Im sure if it wont boot up without it then theres no chance of it booting up with it connected.

9. dant22185

dant22185

After all they are mass produced so there is that margin for error. But after reading though I too agree it is the PSU being faulty. Just bad luck I guess. Let us know what happens with the replacement!

10. widiot

widiot Thread Starter

Just an update- The PSU was returned and found to be faulty and I agreed to receive another one. This arrived today and is acting in the exact same way. The company I bought it from have agreed to take it back and have offered a full refund. I find it highly unlikely that both PSU's were faulty and is most likely a compatability problem(and something on my PC is causing them to become faulty). So just as soon as my refund is received Im buying a cheap and nasty PSU which will no doubt work.

Also would like to add that the company I bought from have been excellent both with prompt communication and advice-and that the people on the other end of the phone actually knew what they were talking about(which is a huge bonus when you have problems). I wont mention their name as it may be seen as advertising but its a pleasant change to be dealt with in such a manner.

11. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

Wow, a helpline with helpful people, that certainly is a breath of fresh air. I guess you're lucky in that sense lol.

I'm glad the problem was pinpointed and I hope your next PSU is more reliable. :)

If you could, please note this topic marked as solved (above your original post).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice