1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fang508, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fang508

fang508 Thread Starter

Since my old Thermaltake kinda died on me, I'm looking for a new PSU.I'm not an expert on what specs are good/bad so I came here.

I found this on Geeks.com: www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CP-GP875&cat=CAS

Not a Widely Known company for sure, But i'm on a 50~60$ budget atm.

What Build I have:

Phenom II x4 805 2.5Ghz OCed to 3.5Ghz
    4GB Samsung DDR3 1333Mhz
    Sound Blaster Live! Value
    XfX Radeon HD 4670

My build probly doesn't need more than a Really Good 400W PSU (Tested with eXtreme PSU Calculator @ 100% Utilization) but I wanted one that's also good for Possible Future Additions like a new Gfx card.

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

You can tell a good deal about a power supply by the weight of the unit (more weight-better quality). The 875 watt unit you linked to on Geeks.com has a shipping weight of 4.75 lbs. (2.2 Kg.)

I just looked at a Corsair 850 watt power supply here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004O0P9XK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

This power supply item weight is 2.5 Kg (5.5 lbs) and the boxed weight is 3.3 Kg (7.26 lbs.) The Corsair item weight is .3 Kg more than the Cool Power shipping weight.

What this means is Corsair used higher quality parts in their unit than Cool Power. Also the Corsair warranty is 5 years vs the Cool Power warranty of 1 year.

In power supplies you get what you pay for. As you may know when a power supply fails many times it "takes out" other components such as the motherboard, graphic card, etc. If you are willing to take more of a risk with a less expensive, poorer quality power supply the decision is yours, but a power supply is not a component where you should cut corners.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

What he said ^

I have seen many budget PSU's that have been tested claiming around 600-1000w and pretty much all have failed at half the wattage they claim. The ones that didn't had terrible ripple suppression and voltages. You are much better off going with one that is lower wattage but higher price because then you know they will be able to output the stated wattage and provide good quality power. Here is a review of the XFX PSU I posted above http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...o-series-450w-and-550w-power-supply-review/6/

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the specs on that unit and it does not look like a quality pw supply. It shows 28amp on two 12V rails; which may or may not yield a total of 56amp. A corsair 850W pw supply shows 70amp on the 12V rail.

A wattage rating alone means next to nothing with a pw supply. Much more important is the quality of the unit, the available amp on any given rail, etc.

In short, this is what I refer to as a junk pw supply and I would NOT recommend you buying this unit.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well the XFX psu seems good enough. That has 34A on the 12v rail which means that it is capable of supplying 408w on the 12v rail alone. Easily enough for a HD4670. The AMD websites says that the 4670 needs a 400w PSU. Now AMD have most likely factored in the fact that a lot of people run "junk" psu's as well so a good quality 450w psu should be fine so long as you have no plans on upgrading to bigger cards any time soon.

7. fang508

fang508 Thread Starter

I went ahead and bought a 500W Thermaltake.was on a good deal and was New from Amazon.

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

wow most people I know won't touch a psu from the same brand once theirs has blown on them lol.

9. fang508

fang508 Thread Starter

True, but this one didn't "blow" lol but it was on it's way.Plus that PSU was in an Overclocked Computer for 3-4 years.Also, All PSU will fail someday so why bother moving from an Already Reputable brand to another?lol

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice