New Purchased CPU off Dell (Need Help on Certain Upgrades)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

d&a

Hello, not sure if I should post here or not but I guess it's related to hardware. I just recently (couple of days ago) purchased a CPU package off the Dell website. Specs are

Inspiron 531,Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (2.60GHz, 512Kx2)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT- DDR3
250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
X-Fi PCI Sound Card
48X CDRW/DVD COMBO and 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Not familar with Dell, but now with after Thanks Giving sales coming, are Dell cases viable for adding in additional hard drives or dvd/cd drives? :confused:

Also on memory (my main concern), is there any recommendations cause I plan to get 2-4g worth, but not sure what brand, what type to purchase that would be compatible. :confused:

Thanks

The Inspiron 531 usually supports up to two hard drives. The specs at Dell say:

Expansion Slots
3.5" Bays: 3 bays (one external; two internal)
5.25" Bays: 2 bays
Memory DIMM slots: 4 available

That would also let you add another optical drive. Can you provide a link to the exact model you chose since not all things are equal at all times?

The memory just has to be compatible at DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, whether you go with 2 or 4 GB's depends on your use of the machine. You don't say what OS you bought, Vista or XP but if Vista definitely go to 2GBs and XP I'd recommend 2 GBs.

Since it takes about 2 weeks to get it... see if you can change your order a bit... such as 2 or 3 GB of RAM since I gather you bought it with Vista. XP is optional on some systems and less memory requirements.

Unfortunetly, Dell charges an ARM and both legs for RAM.

1GB > 2GB $100 extra (2 sticks)
1GB > 3GB $250 extra (4 sticks)

4GB max, you maybe looking at vista 64 bit which is problematic.

Now, lets compare prices from www.newegg.com (or even some retail stores).
2 GB of DDR2 667mhz = $50 {2 sticks} (name brand too)

Cheaper to add your OWN memory, after you get it.

If you plan on any gaming with modern titles (Crysis, UT3, etc) you'll still need a better video card... at least an ATI 3850 ($180) or better yet ATI 3870 ($220) - Considering that Dell sold you the 8600GT for $150... that sells for about $100 in retail and mail-order places like newegg. That ATI 3850 is about 2-3 times faster... for only $30 more!

But upgrading to a higher performance video card requires a bigger PSU than the included 300watter. A 450~500watt unit is needed... about $50~75 to upgrade.

You can add another HD to that Dell chassis.

If modern gaming is desired, change order to remove the 8600gt. Only issue is if a standard ATX PSU will fit inside the dell case... There is little info on these new cases.

d&a

I order it like 4 days ago, and the CPU already arrived ... O.O

Don't have a exact link, but I went here to begin (Build your own Dell)
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...us&l=en&m_3=2gb62&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643

Yea I order Windows Vista, and as for gaming issues, only game I play is Worlf of Warcraft, maybe Starcraft II when it comes out. The video card I purchase isn't sufficient?

As for memory would :
CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145180
be compatible and sufficient. I plan to buy maybe 2 of it. Or Crucial/Kingston would be better?.

OK, do you know that Basic comes without the Aero interface and without Media Center? I mention this because when Microsoft says basic it really means basic. For that reason you may want to see about returning it and upgrading to Vista Home Premium and then ordering it with the memory upgrade and video card upgrade pre-installed.

I don't know Dell's return policy, maybe Compiler does, but sometimes buying cheap is kind of what you get. I'd be hesitant to put more money into it with Basic installed as the OS.

- Some PCs (Like ACER, at least months ago) include a Vista Upgrade DVD which allows the end user to upgrade to other versions of vista for a fee.

- The Aero interface is extra eye-candy... It looks better without Transprancy anyways, IMO.... if Basic does what you need and you're happy with it, keep it. Also missing is scheduled backup and media center functions, not that big of a deal.

d&a : You should install 2 sticks of 1GB for a total of 2GB extra RAM. So when done, you'll have 3GB installed.

For the games you have listed to play with, the 8600GT will work just fine. Those are not state of the art graphic engines... In the future at any time, you will need to upgrade the video card & PSU for more gaming power.

d&a

Well I have always been using Windows XP, and I heard Windows Vista still have issues, should I just reformat and reinstall Windows XP?

Edit: Also thank you guys so much for you help Compliler & Griffinspc =D

1GB > 2GB $100 extra (2 sticks)
1GB > 3GB $250 extra (4 sticks)

4GB max, you maybe looking at vista 64 bit which is problematic.

Now, lets compare prices from www.newegg.com (or even some retail stores).
2 GB of DDR2 667mhz = $50 {2 sticks} (name brand too)

Cheaper to add your OWN memory, after you get it.
You need to finsh that sentence because yes it is cheaper providing you match the ram with a configurator at a ram makers website such as www.crucial,kingston or corsair.com, not simply buy 667 speed ram. It would be more expensive to guess.

d&a said:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...us&l=en&m_3=2gb62&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643

Yea I order Windows Vista, and as for gaming issues, only game I play is Worlf of Warcraft, maybe Starcraft II when it comes out. The video card I purchase isn't sufficient?

As for memory would :
be compatible and sufficient. I plan to buy maybe 2 of it. Or Crucial/Kingston would be better?.
You might find some better answers calling your pc a tower as a "cpu" is the processor only and I doubt they would ship the processor without the tower?

d&a said:

As for memory would :
Yes that should be compatible....

Rich-M: :) on all.

d&a: While I myself am easily an ANTI vista person. Due to the problems with vista (what I've read and know from experince) and the simple fact that once you disable the bothersome "features" - you & everyone else might as well have WindowsXP. (Other than DX10 that M$ refuses to support on XP, when they are SUPPOSED TO) Many others in the industry are not impressed... Vista should have been something worthwhile.

With my very low opinion on Vista, you should see how well your PC works before bothering to upgrade to WinXP. It may work better for you... install your games, etc.

With XP, that 1 GB of RAM will do just fine. With Vista, you'll need 3GB to have the same "performance" level... So either you spend about $115 for XP Media Center Edition from Newegg... DL the drivers that Rich-M was nice enough to put a link up for... or spend $50~65 for another 2GB of RAM (and then if you want more eye-candy, spend $50 or so to upgrade to vista premo)

I wish vista was a better product. With a 6year development cycle, it should have used the same or a bit more memory and do the things we need it to do... not just eye-candy.

I think XP-MCE (Media CenterEdition) looks cooler, its a cheaper version of XP-PRO for $150 (vs $145~150). XP home is $90...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online