1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Quad Core System is slow.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragonlight, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragonlight

dragonlight Thread Starter

I have just built a new computer using a Quad Core CPU. The MBD is Intel D975XBX2KR, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor, Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory. Sata Hard drive, and 550power supply. I had a Core 2 dual before this and it was snappy, I am not very happy with this one. Just looking for a few answers.

Thanks.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is your Q6600 B3 or G0 stepping? At what temp is your processor running?

3. dragonlight

My CPU is the B3 stepping, and the temp I am not sure. Is there some software that I can load in order to see that?

4. dragonlight

The CPU is running about 33c at idle and 45c during a burn in test.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

6. dragonlight

I have the latest Bios update, Have EIST enabled in Bios. I set the power scheme to Minimal, and pressed ctrl-alt-del, and pressed performance tab. It never stays at 0, it goes between 0 and 1. When it's at 0, I goto My Computer properties and the two cpu speeds are always the same. I also ram memtest / ram passed. I ran tests on cpu, hard drive, psu and all hardware it all passed. I am running Windows XP Media Center edition with SP2.

Is the B2 speed stepping a little more fussy than they GO?
    The computer seems to be running a little better, but my Core 2 duo ram much faster and there where no hesitation as there are with this one.... Once and awhile the CPU will not respond right away.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice