1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New RAM, but FSB problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minime9891, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minime9891

minime9891 Thread Starter

Long story short i bought new RAM for my laptop so i could buy Warhammer. I installed it no problem, initially my laptop had 1Gb of Ram (2x 512Mb chips), now its got 2Gb's of RAM (2x 1Gb chips). I ran SiSoftware Sandra (I don't know if that means anything here) and in the help section it says:
    "FSB exceeds Chipset rated speed. Reduce FSB"
    and
    "Memory bus speed exceeds Chipset rated speed. Reduce FSB/memory multiplier"

Neither of which I understand, now I know my laptop can hold up to 2Gbs of RAM because i checked it on Sony's website before i even bought the chips. I think it might help to point out that on Sandra it says "Memory Bus Speed: 4x 277MHz (1.11GHz)" and "Maximum Memory Speed: 4x 167MHz (668MHz).

When I initially looked into it I read something about overclocking which doesn't make sense to me. I'm not a complete novice of computers and have fair knowledge of the ins and outs of them, so could someone let me know whats going wrong and how I can resolve the problem. If it helps I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE48E.

Thanks.

2. BG-0

BG-0

You would need to go to BIOS (also called Setup in the POST), go to frequency/voltage section, and find FSB and FSB/RAM ratio settings, for exapmle take a picture of all the options there and we could advice you to find the correct settings to get these warnings get off.

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

When you checked the Sony site, did you get the RAM specs and make sure you bought the right kind of RAM? Capacity is not the only consideration, older machines, for instance use PC100, my laptop takes 5300 but I bought a backward compatible 6700.

Some RAM is backward compatible, some not.... compare the specs and make sure you bought the right ones.... you could even post your machine specs here and someone can help you track it down.

Hope this helps,

MBN

4. minime9891

minime9891 Thread Starter

in response to the thing about whether they're compatible the chips that sony suggest and supply are "DDR2-667 (PC2-5300)" and what i bought is "DDR2 - 677 PC2 5300".

So i'm prettry sure they're exactly the same as theres no difference in the titles. Both run at the same speed as far as I'm aware, its just that the laptop was running 1Gb worth and now its running 2Gbs. Hope this helps you guys.

Also I'll take a photo of my BIOS tomorrow and i'll load it then.

5. BG-0

BG-0

I just seems like the RAM has been overclocked somehow. Or then the CPU has been, and the FSB/RAM ratio has not been changed beforehand. Still, if it would be running at speed like 1108 MHz, it wouldn't be stable... Maybe there's a read error somewhere.
    Still it'd be a wise choice to see if you can underclock all to optimal level.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice