1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New RAM doesn't fully work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithtruman1, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithtruman1

keithtruman1 Thread Starter

I just upgraded my RAM from 1Gb to 4Gb. My motherboard (MSI) has 4 available slots. However, when all 4 RAM cards are in the slots, my PC is only showing I have 3Gb RAM added. I have tried all combinations of the1Gb RAM with the 4 slots and I have confirmed all my RAM is working and so are all the slots. For instance, when I put in 3 of the 1Gb RAM into 3 of any of the slots the PC shows 3Gb added, its just that whenever I add the 4th 1Gb RAM that it still only shows 3Gb.

Keith

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

32 bit systems of Windows XP and earlier have a max usage of between 3.2 and 3.5 gb ram. Windows Vista after Sp1 can show the 4 gb, but not really utilize it. Only 64 bit systems will show and use more than 3.5 gb ram and BTW each board reads what they read differently. Also remember onbaord video if you are using it reduces the amount available to the system as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice