1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New RAM Fried Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tyrant, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tyrant

Tyrant Thread Starter

Hello all, i've got a question.

I recently bought a 512 stick of Corsair DDR RAM that I intended to put in my 2 year old gateway. I ran into a very weird problem upon insertion.

I placed the card in the second RAM slot of my motherboard, next to another 512 stick of DDR RAM. I locked it in place, then proceeded to power on my PC for a test. Upon hitting the power button, the PC started up, but none of the key functions were working. The keyboard has no power, none of the lights will go on ( on the keyboard, such as Caps Lock, Numlock, etc. ), the mouse is optical and is also unpowered. The monitor detects the PC as being plugged in, but stays in "power save mode" because it is not detecting that the PC has become active again. None of the USB devices will get power either. I have checked the connections numerous times, everything seems to be in order. I removed the Corsair RAM from the PC, and tried to power on again - Same thing happens. I tried switching the slots of the RAM as well. Nothing has worked, i've become very perplexed with this issue. I've built many PC's and I have never encountered a problem like this before.
    The only thing that I can think of is that possibly the motherboard some how fried? It seems irrational but I have not a clue what could be causing this problem.

Please help if you can! Thank you for your time!

2. winbob

winbob

If you go back to the ORIGINAL configuration will the machine POST & Boot?

3. Tyrant

Tyrant Thread Starter

No - It does the same thing. The machine will boot up, but none of the attached devices will respond.
    =/
    Any ideas?

4. rockinmale

rockinmale

Have you tried resetting the bios? If you are unsure of the cmos jumper location. You can refer back to your motherboard manual. If you cannot find your manual. The only other option you have is to pull the battery itself. Look for a shiny watch battery on the motherboard. Take the battery out for a few minutes and then plug it back in. You will then need to go back into your bios and reset everything from cpu speed, hard drives, etc....

5. Tyrant

Tyrant Thread Starter

Nope the battery was a nogo. Removed the battery for 10 minutes, replaced it, same thing. The PC turns on, but the monitor, keyboard, and devices do not.
    =/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/301263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice