1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New RAM install and Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bstewart, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bstewart

bstewart Thread Starter

I have a 2007 Lenovo ThinkPad T61 (6459) laptop with 2 GB of RAM: 2 * (1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM).

I replaced each 1 GB stick with a 2GB 200 Pin PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM stick from Mrmemory.co.uk. They “guaranteed a MATCHED PAIR for dual channel mode.” Replaced both in order to have a “matched pair”, even though I know my Vista 32 bit OS will only recognized ~3GB. Anyway, I inserted both, and the bios did recognized both.

The system ran fine for a couple of days, and then my McAfee virus scan would start to shut off; I’d manually turn it on again, but it would immediately shut off. Thought I might have malware or a virus and not a RAM issue because the laptop ran fine for a few days after the install. So I tried to run my Ad-Aware program. It too wouldn’t run. I uninstalled McAfee, and downloaded Malware Bytes, and AVAST anti-virus. Both froze midway through their tests, and got a Blue Screen of Death and reboot two times each when trying to run each of them. Booted in SafeMode and ran both programs. No viruses or critical malware was found. Got a few more BSODs. Had a bunch of processes stop working and automatically closed by windows.

Ran PC Doctor 5 for windows. No problems found (no problems with memory). Ran Memtest 86+ v4.10 overnight; no problems found (11 Passes: see below for results). Updated system with Windows Update, and got the BSOD again. ?!?!?!? Rebooted. Started windows update again. McAfee turned off while windows update was updating; turned it back on. Keep having a variety of processes stop working while windows update is running (e.g., Superfetch has stopped working: Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed; e.g., the wireless LAN will randomly disconnect, e.g....).

What should I do? Could the new RAM chips be causing this problem even without RAM errors being found by either PC Doctor 5, or Memtest86+ v4.10 ?

Memtest 86+ v4.10
    Intel Core 2 2195 MHz
    L1 Cache: 32K 30479 MB/s
    L2 Cache: 4096 K 14533 MB/s
    L3 Cache: none
    Memory: 4030 M 2957 MB/s
    Chipset: Intel GM965/GL960 (ECC: Disabled) – FSB: 199 MHz – Type: DDR-II
    Settings: RAM: 332 MHz (DDR665) / CAS: 5-5-5-15 / Dual Channel
    WallTime: Cached RsvdMem MemMap Cache ECC Test Pass Errors ECC Errors
    14:50 4030M 208K e820 on off Std 11 0

Memory SPD Informations
    *****Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit*****

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why not just reinstall your old memory and check?

What brand of memory did you install? If it was some no name brand, it may cause problems. If you installed corsair or crucial, then it should be ok.

3. olryst

olryst

In your laptop, do you have the , not so good, RAM slots where one stick lays on top of the other?

I had this and when I brougth some better double sided RAM, because they were touching, they were getting very hot and causing blue screen.

Stoped as soon as I only tried one stick.

You could also see if theres any bios options for RAM.

4. bstewart

bstewart Thread Starter

To: crjdriver

Am trying it with the old sticks. The new ones are Elixer.

To: olryst

Yes, it is the poor set up in which they are partially overlapped, one on top of the other. Took one out. Still had problems with windows update (all updates failed). However, my old 1 GB chips are the same size as the new 2 GB chips, though I am assuming the new 2 GB chips may use more power and produce more heat. Can I use a 1 GB chip and a 2 GB chip together?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have never heard of that brand of ram.
    Mixing ram can sometimes work and other times not work. When you are trying to isolate a problem, I would NOT be inducing extra variables into the problem.

If it does work ok with the old ram, I would rma the new ram and go with a name brand like corsair or crucial.

6. bstewart

bstewart Thread Starter

Seems to be working with the old RAM, so it appears the Elixir 2 GB chips are poor quality.

Is it likely that higher quality 2GB chips like corsair or crucial won't have the same problems as the elixir (i.e., the overlapping chip setup shouldn't cause the higher quality chips to overheat--or whatever is happening to the elixir chips)?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go to the crucial site and input your system. It will show all compatible chips AND guarantee that they will work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice