1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New RAM module will not register

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stradam, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stradam

stradam Thread Starter

I purchased a new RAM module for my PC the other day and it will not register in the PC.

The PC is an ARIES 5100 PRO MK2. It has a 512MB DDR SDRAM PC3200 module installed already and the new module that I have purchased is the same. I am aware of pairing the modules and both modules work when used on their own (in any of the 4 slots) but as soon as you put both modules in, and in whatever slots, it won't register both modules.

This is really strange, the only ideas that i have come up with are that the on board graphics card is using a part of one module thus making it less than 512MB and so not pairing up with the second 512MB module. Also, can you pair DDR with DDR2? If not, what happens if you put them together?

When it is booting up with both modules in, the memory test only goes up to 490MB (the rest is being used by the on board graphics card) and it says single channel!? Is there a bios setting somewhere that tells it only to use single channel or restricts the amount of RAM that the pc can use? The pc doesn't complain that there is a fault, it seems that it is literally ignoring the extra RAM!

Thanks in advanced!

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Could you post the make and model of your motherboard?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice