1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new ram not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uselesspos, Aug 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uselesspos

uselesspos Thread Starter

I just upgraded from 24mb to 64mb but at start up and in system properties it still says 24mb. I have 2 168dimm slots I pulled the 24mb card and put in the 64. it works, no different than before, and I cant find a way to make windows recognize the new card. I've gone through everything in bios and cant find anything related to memory. its using the card but not at the capacity its rated, how do I make windows realize its a new card.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

How about posting back with more info about your system such as cpu, mfg and os.

3. uselesspos

im using a
    packard bell multimedia S605
    233mhz mmx
    windows 98 se

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Well the computer is new enough to be able to see the ram. If the 24mb stick is in a specific slot, try removing it and putting the new ram in that one. Does it see the change? You should not have to change anythint in the bios for it to see the memmory.

5. uselesspos

i have 2 slots and have tried all configs. my comp wont work unless the second card is in its orig slot(it just beeps). i pulled the other and replaced it with the new 64mb card. when i first started my comp i was forced into safe mode and restarted using cacheman and everything loaded fine. but thats where i found my system was still only reading 24 megs of ram(while i was in safe mode it said i only had 8mb of ram, apparently the amoumt on the non-removable card).
    on the next screen after where i can get into BIOS it gives(among others) values for:

edo dram at row(s): none
    sdram at row(s): 0 2

even on my limited system it gives values for these newer memory systems implying that its capable of supporting them

how can i get windows(since my BIOS doesnt have the options for it) to adopt the new ram for what it is? i mean, its using the card, so it works. there are 2 slots and 2 cards; 1st slot 64mb, 2nd slot non-removable 8mb, and my sys props say i have 24 megs of ram. if the new card was defective or not compatable, or not installed correctly wouldnt it be telling me that i only had 8mb of ram?

6. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/49979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice