1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New ram not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gubriel31, Feb 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Gubriel31

Gubriel31 Thread Starter

Hi

I bought a HP Compaq Elite 8100 FFS, and it works fine with 1 GB ram that I have.

But I wanted to upgrade, so I bought a Corsair XMS3 4 GB ram 1333 mhz PC-10600 1,5 V, and it doesn't work.

So I have updated to the latest BIOS, but still no. Bios works fine, and can see all the ram, but when loading to windows, I receive the message BAD POOL HEADER.

Btw, if I take out the CMOS battery it will try detect and crashes at about 1400 mg with some weird colors.
    I thought maybe I could take down the volume or up latency or something, but it seems like impossible with HP bios.

So do I just have to accept it and try to buy another module?
    The thing is I wanted to upgrade to 16 gb ram, which the manual says is max.

Thanks in advance, Gabriel

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Re this
    I am not familiar with the FSS - should it have been SFF - small form factor

When you say
    do you mean you have BOUGHT 16GB in 4 sticks as a kit
    OR have you only bought one stick for the time being

Have you tried with JUST the ONE 4GB new stick rather than the existing 1GB and the 4GB

I cannot find the exact spec of ram required for your board but it is NOT merely a case of matching DDR3 1333
    the chip configuration of the Corsair ram may not be compatible with your board, the voltage may be wrong.
    You are more unlikely to get a successful boot with the 1GB and the 4GB
    especially if latency and timings and voltage of the sticks do not match

The corsair is - if I have the correct ram
    https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/XMS3-—-4GB-(1x4GB)-DDR3-1333MHz-C9-Memory-Kit/p/CMX4GX3M1A1333C9
    9-9-9-24
    and the chip configuration is I THINK
    16 memory chips. So, 4 GB ÷ 16 = 256 MB per memory chip. And the memory chip data width is usually 8 bits. The memory chip density = 256 MB x 8 bits = 2 Gb.
    DDR therefore 4GB

If that is NOT what your board will take that is the bad pool header
    IT maybe NOT correctly inserted - evenly in DIMM slot and both clips in notches, but that is unlikely
    The more obvious cause, other than a BAD stick of ram is the chip configuration and latency as I said

This may help
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ent-results-after-memory-upgrade/td-p/6429352

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form Factor PC which has 4 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 16 GB of DDR3-1333(PC3-10600) RAM.

Macboatmaster has jumped in, so I'll leave you with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Macboatmaster

Flavallee
    I did not jump in I posted first :D:D:D
    You are slowing down

5. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. Macboatmaster

Are you still requiring help please
    Your response to your topic would be appreciated

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice