New ram not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gubriel31

Hi

I bought a HP Compaq Elite 8100 FFS, and it works fine with 1 GB ram that I have.

But I wanted to upgrade, so I bought a Corsair XMS3 4 GB ram 1333 mhz PC-10600 1,5 V, and it doesn't work.

So I have updated to the latest BIOS, but still no. Bios works fine, and can see all the ram, but when loading to windows, I receive the message BAD POOL HEADER.

Btw, if I take out the CMOS battery it will try detect and crashes at about 1400 mg with some weird colors.
I thought maybe I could take down the volume or up latency or something, but it seems like impossible with HP bios.

So do I just have to accept it and try to buy another module?
The thing is I wanted to upgrade to 16 gb ram, which the manual says is max.

Thanks in advance, Gabriel

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Re this
HP Compaq Elite 8100 FFS
I am not familiar with the FSS - should it have been SFF - small form factor

When you say
The thing is I wanted to upgrade to 16 gb ram, which the manual says is max.
do you mean you have BOUGHT 16GB in 4 sticks as a kit
OR have you only bought one stick for the time being

Have you tried with JUST the ONE 4GB new stick rather than the existing 1GB and the 4GB

I cannot find the exact spec of ram required for your board but it is NOT merely a case of matching DDR3 1333
the chip configuration of the Corsair ram may not be compatible with your board, the voltage may be wrong.
You are more unlikely to get a successful boot with the 1GB and the 4GB
especially if latency and timings and voltage of the sticks do not match

The corsair is - if I have the correct ram
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/XMS3-—-4GB-(1x4GB)-DDR3-1333MHz-C9-Memory-Kit/p/CMX4GX3M1A1333C9
9-9-9-24
and the chip configuration is I THINK
16 memory chips. So, 4 GB ÷ 16 = 256 MB per memory chip. And the memory chip data width is usually 8 bits. The memory chip density = 256 MB x 8 bits = 2 Gb.
DDR therefore 4GB

If that is NOT what your board will take that is the bad pool header
IT maybe NOT correctly inserted - evenly in DIMM slot and both clips in notches, but that is unlikely
The more obvious cause, other than a BAD stick of ram is the chip configuration and latency as I said

This may help
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...ent-results-after-memory-upgrade/td-p/6429352

Last edited:

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
You appear to have a HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form Factor PC which has 4 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 16 GB of DDR3-1333(PC3-10600) RAM.

Macboatmaster has jumped in, so I'll leave you with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Flavallee
I did not jump in I posted first :D:D:D
You are slowing down

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you still requiring help please
Your response to your topic would be appreciated

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online