New ram...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Triumphdog

I would like to get another 1 g of ram. Right now I have this pc : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00280666 w/ 1 gig of DDR SDRAM 184 pin PC3200 2x512 ram. MY question is, can I get another one gig in just one stick, instead of 2x512? That way down the road I can get another 1 gig stick (I have four total slots) ? Or do they run best if you have 2x512 w/ another 2x512? Thanks for any help fellas!

RAM sticks do come in 1GB sticks but...would you really need it? I run 280GB (160GB+120GB) with 2x512Mb of RAM and that is more than enough.

Triumphdog

Ok thanks for the reply, my main question is though is that will a 1 gig stick run well with a 1gig of 2x512? Does they run well together? Or should I match them up by having one set of 2x512 now and adding another 2x512 having 2 gigs total?

Sort of like:

2x512 = 1 Gig + 2x512 = 1 Gig = 2 Gigs Total (No Slots Open)

Or

2x512 = 1 Gig + 1 Gig Stick = 2 Gigs Total (One Slot Open)

What is my best choice?

From my expeience, the less hardware you have to use - the better. Therefore, my suggestion would be to go with the 2+1 option.
Some will agree - others wont. They will both work.

I would go to crucial site and put your make/model in and see what it says you can use, some pcz are fussy about ram others are not.

dont you love that? its not listed, get a 1gig stick and try it, it should work

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
One thing to consider. If you have a dual channel DDR MB, you should add the memory in pairs for the best performance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online