1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New rig: CSS specs?

Discussion in 'Games' started by dutchy216, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dutchy216

dutchy216 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

new to the boards. Im an avid counter-strike source player trying to run the game on a single-core, very outdated machine and am about to upgrade. Ive been looking into Puget, Velocity Micro and Falcon- Northwest systems. Im still debating but the Falcon machine looks a bit too good to pass up. Heres the possible specs:

TJ-04 - Black Anodized
    Silverstone 750Watt Strider - Modular
    nVidia nForce 780I - SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
    Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU LED
    4GB (2X2GB) 800MHZ DDR2
    2x nVidia 8800GTS 512MB
    Integrated On-Board Audio
    Seagate 500GB 16MB Cache SATA 2
    Lite-On 20X DVD+-RW W/Lightscribe
    Sony 3.5in. Floppy-Black
    Windows XP Pro - 32 Bit
    Samsung 22&#34 - 1680x1050
    Enermax Quiet Mag-Lev Fans
    1 Year - Parts and Labor

Known issues with this configuration: None

System Price: $ 2,987.52

question: would this be a good setup for high FPS games such as css? I used to have pretty bad choke and reg and around 50 fps. I want an extreme increase in performance. what do you guys think.

2. like 45 ninjas.

like 45 ninjas.

lol
    high fps gaming and css do not fit
    css can run on almost any computer
    i get 60 fps on my 6 year old desktop
    but anyway
    thats a great system
    it should even be able to run crysis at medium-low settings
    use http://www.canyourunit.com to test it

3. Kush6

Kush6

You might want to run a 64bit OS for this rig, otherwise all 4Gb of your RAM will not be utilised - only 3.2 Gb or so will be. I really dunno why it happens because the theoretical limit for a 32 bit OS is 4Gb but it doesn't support all that memory. Perhaps someone would explain why....

4. tex0gen

tex0gen

man thats some nice looking specs there man. but... you sure you wouldnt rather buy a new processor extra ram and new g-card yourself? altogether thats like half of what you pay there. from what iv seen an 8800GTS 1gig is 300 quid Ram ddr2 x2 1gig = 25 quid. dual core prcessor one of the high ones is like 100 - 200 quuid. and sorted. maybe a new motherboard for 60 quid? supports quad core. man build it yourself and you could have a well nice specs like that for half that. plus its fun! >.<

5. McTimson

McTimson

The RAM limit happens on 32-bit OS's because you have to consider all the other RAM involved in the system, not just the DDR RAM. The other main RAM source is video card RAM, but there's also small amounts taken up by other peripherals. So, if you have 4GB RAM, and a 512MB video card, then the maximum amount of RAM that Windows would see if 3.5GB.

And, for those who don't know, the RAM limit exists because operating systems are only physically cable of handling 2^x bits of memory, where x is the number of bits the OS supports. So, a 32-bit OS would see 2^32 bits, which is 4GB. A 64-bit processor could handle 2^64 bits, which is about 16.8 million terabytes. Nobody's going to be using that much memory anytime soon.

And that system is overkill for CSS. If you're willing to spend $3k on a computer, then go for it, you won't be disappointed, but you can get all those parts and do it yourself for much cheaper, or have someone else build it for you for a hundred bucks or so. Putting all those parts in Newegg, taking the retail versions of everything, with a nice $100 case, the parts total comes to about $2000, but you could get a comparable system for much less.

6. dutchy216

dutchy216 Thread Starter

Thanks for quick replys.

45 ninjas- CSS and high frames per second definitely fit. actually theyre essential. you cant expect to play this game on any competative level unless your getting atleast a solid 70fps in a pub. dont forget you also have to play while recording the match which slows your action down just a bit.

McTimson/Texogen- the system is a bit overkill for css but im also going to be massive amounts of audio/video files and be running a variety of other games as well. Building the computer myself was my second question. i would love to do this however, i dont want to have to deal with shipping problems or time wasting over aquiring all the parts. it just seems like it would be so much easier to have it pre assembled, ill know its properly connected and the os properly installed, plus i get full time support and a year warranty. i get none of this if i build the system myself however, these things are definitely not worth 1k.

let me know what you think

7. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby

look at my spec.

Runs CS:S at highest setting possible with 1680x1050 resolution at 60 fps. I have never seen my fps drop.

I dont know max fps becuase I use vsync. Is pointless to get more fps then your monitor support.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!