New Rig Working fine. until.......

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wheeze87

Okay, so i bought a new pre built machine very recently. ANd I have had it set up for about a week now
Specs
Asus P5KC motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q660 2.4GHZ
2GB Ram Ballistix
1GB Ram HP
Gigabyte 9600 GT 512mb PCI GRphics card
111GB MAXTOR HDD

It came with two hard drives installed, but i took on of them out, to leave me with just one (simpler IMO)!

Anyway, I installed windows XP SP2 with no problems, and since i've had it i've been installing programs, and steam.
I've downloaded a few games with steam, and have been playing through HL2 and more recently Team Fortress 2.

Anyway today, I was chatting with my friend on Windows Live, and then i closed that, and started up Team Fortress 2. However when the program started I could hear all the music that you hear at the menu, but the screen was black!!!

I waited and waited, but nothing happened, so the only thing i could do was reboot. SO i reboot, and the BIOS splash loads up, and then the windows xp boot screen, and then when it should show log in screen, the screen flickers and goes black. And thats it, the hard drive whirrs for a bit, but Theres nothing i can do from there. BLACK SCREEN

I can boot safe mode with and without networking, and I even did a system restore from safe mode, but that didnt work.

I assume it is a video card problem, as it is a game that seems to have caused this problem.

Sorry to burden you with such a long winded story, but I;ve been scouring then internet for days now, and cannot find a problem similar. Thanks for all your help!

wheeze87

Okay, so I think that this is not a graphics card issue, I think it might be a virus. I Unplugged the power cord to my graphics card, In that hope that windows would try to boot up without it. (Should I have removed it from the PCI slot completely?) And i still get the windows boot screen, but the screen flickers and goes black again after that. I might try a windows XP repair install next....

wheeze87

Okay, so things i've tried so far:
I discovered my graphocs card has new drivers available, so i went into safe mode and updated them.....still the same problem...
I also did a "repair install" of win XP, but that hasnt worked either?

Anything else i should try? I'm thinking maybe, i should totally reinstall windows, if so... can anyone recommend a good way to back up my data, (games etc.) I have another hard drive i can use to do that. But i would have to back up in safe mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online