New Router, 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SOFwhitewolf

SO I picked up a new router thinking it was simultaneous dual band, turns out it is just single band. so either or. My question is, is it possible to leave the ADSL+ modem wireless on @ 2.4ghz and have the router wireless @5ghz?

Posting both the modem/router and new router would help but initial suggestion would be to return (?) the router instead and replace it with the dual band featured as most likely additional charges in exchange for the intended upgrade or maybe just a miscommunication between the seller. The dual band frequency can be toggled between using only 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz or simultaneous.

SOFwhitewolf

So ill try to rephrase. My ADSL modem is a c1000z, single band 2.4ghz. My router is a Linksys WRT320n dual band router.

I would like to know if I can run the modem @2.4ghz AND run the Router @ 5ghz. So end result would be simultaneous 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

TerryNet

Terry
Yes, the c1000z is an ZyXEL modem/wireless router combo so you can use its Wi-Fi plus the Wi-Fi of another router.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
I do something similar here. I have my Billion (for sky) router upstairs in my office. It is a single band 2.4g router and I leave that on with one ssid for wireless access upstairs and for the wired PCs in my office.
I run one Ethernet cable downstairs and have a dual band netgear router that supplies both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz with a different ssid for my living room. The DHCP server is turned off in that and the Ethernet cable attached to it, so it acts as a repeater but wired. My Sky box and both my laptops in the living room connect at 5Ghz as I'm the only one using it locally. If I need to connect a guest laptop that doesn't have a 5GHz card I can connect to either 2.4GHz ssid. or just use an Ethernet cable plugged into the Netgear.

TerryNet

Terry
The DHCP server is turned off in that and the Ethernet cable attached to it, so it acts as a repeater but wired.
Sorry to quibble, Dave, but while it serves the same purpose as a repeater it actually acts as a wireless access point.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online