1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Router Blocking Ebay

Discussion in 'Networking' started by razorboy, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. razorboy

razorboy Thread Starter

I installed a new router yesterday and it works great. The one hitch I'm having is that I can't get Ebay to display. Some links from e-mail will allow me to look at a listing, but when I try to sign in, I get the dreaded "page cannot be displayed" message. Security settings are all the same prior to new router install. When I click on ebay.com the dreaded "page cannot be displayed" pops up immediately. What can I do to fix this? Thanks. I have XP professional on an HP pavilion a1030n.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce

Make and model of the router please.

3. razorboy

razorboy Thread Starter

It is a Netgear WGR614 v8. Thanks.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Have you tried taking the router out of the equation and plugging directly into the modem. See if there is any change.

5. razorboy

razorboy Thread Starter

Just tried that and Ebay came right up. Ebay is the only website that does this. Is there something amiss with the router?

6. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    There shouldn't be. Either search for a firmware update, or return the router since you just bought. It could just be a bad router. Have you used Netgear in the past? I prefer Linksys myself.

7. razorboy

razorboy Thread Starter

This is replacing a Netgear that went on me after almost three years. I stuck with Netgear because I have two other desktops in the house using Netgear adaptors. I'm sure I can use a Linksys with Netgear adaptors; I thought they would work better together. Maybe it's time to try a Linksys. Which would you recommend?

8. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Personally I would recommend a Linksys, although this is just my personal choice however. It makes no difference whatsoever what kind of adapters you have in any computer in your house. They will work exactly the same.

9. razorboy

razorboy Thread Starter

I'll try the firmware update, and if that doesn't work, I'll try a Linksys. Thanks for all your help, SWB.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd try resetting the router to factory defaults and then using a wired connection to it. I can't imagine the default configuration blocking eBay, you'd be able to hear the howls all over the world! :D

11. razorboy

razorboy Thread Starter

John, resetting the router did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion. Mucho appreciado!

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad it was an easy one. :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice