1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Router Config???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chawni, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chawni

chawni Thread Starter

What is the deal with newer routers today? The last time I bought a router (Belkin G) was about 2 yrs ago. I configed it just the way I wanted it. I was using NetMeeting and mIRC with a file sharing script with NO problem. I need to replace it now because as all routers do eventyally, it started to drop connections. I had bought another Belkin AND a Netgear and taken them both back because no matter how I config the settings (enabled DMZ, disabled the firewall, set up the port forwarding) they will NOT work! Do I need to buy one specific? Spend more money? I just don't get it? I expect my router to do what "I" want it to do, not what the router thinks is best for me. I dont need all the "security". I have my own firewall and internet security. Can someone shed some light on the subject? Any suggestions would be appreciated and I will get what ever router will allow me to config it my way no matter the cost.
    Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most all User Manuals can be found on the router manufacturer's web site in the Support section. Scan through the manuals for the routers you are considering to see if they satisfy you.

3. chawni

chawni Thread Starter

I am setting it up the way its supposed to be set up (per the manuals), along with 30 min on the phone with Netgear tech support who knew nothing. I'm not a novice and this is about the 4th router I've had to set up. Im really disgusted. I need a router, not a fortress.
    Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice