1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New router, no internet access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drquell, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drquell

drquell Thread Starter

Currently am on a cable internet connection. My cable modem is a linksys CM100. Connected to this set-up is a wireless router WRT54G that I have had for a number of years. Right now I'm using a laptop running windows 7 64bit. I want to upgrade to an N-based wireless connection and have recently purchased a linksys WRT160N router. Thought this might be an easy switch to just plug the ethernet cable that was in the existing router into the new router and then set up the new router. I am able to connect to the new router on various computers and have set up the router with new SSID and password, but I am unable to connect to the internet through this router. I can switch back to the old router and connect to the internet, but every time I try with the new router it says there is no internet connection.

Any advice you all could provide would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. turbow5

turbow5

Did you install the drivers that came with the new router?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remember to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when changing the device connected to it. If a normal power cycle doesn't work sometimes a longer (five minutes) one will.

In case your ISP is tracking the MAC Address of the device connected to the modem clone the old router's WAN MAC Address to the new router.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Routers do not have drivers. Disregard this.

5. turbow5

turbow5

Well whatever came on the disk. I havn't gotten a new router in yrs I don't remember the process exactly but I remember it came with a CD.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, they come with CDs. They don't have drivers, and they're not needed. They run optional setup utilities.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice