1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new router random disconnects/reconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by curbStormp, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. curbStormp

curbStormp Thread Starter

hello Im new to this forum and I have been having problems with my new router. I decided to purchase a new one after having our old smc one since we first got cable internet. There were no problems with the old one except holding back the actual cable speed.

The new router is a Dlink EBR-2310 model and isp is Comcast cable. The connection is hooked up to 2 computers and occasionally a gaming console. Xbox live runs great but the two computers disconnect and reconnect randomly anywhere from 5-10/12 times a day. It is off for about anywhere from 1-3/4min and then returns without me having to do anything

This is a WIRED connection. The firmware on the router is up to date. I tried setting up static ips and the same thing happens(even worse) I've tried replacing the router and the same problem still occurs. any help would be appreciated since it is an annoyance.

Other weird problems with new router: downloads from sites like rapidshare are unusually slow (10-20 k/bs) downloading torrent files often triggers a disconnect. thanks for any help

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. We can't offer any assistance on illegal downloads via torrent sites, which is what most of them are.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

go into your pcs nic properties and disable in the power saving tab "allow windows to turn off"

Next you need to determine if its your lan connection going haywire or your wan connection. Next time you get kicked off see if you can access the routers web interface. If you can't we have narrowed it to the lan side. Could be router, its configuration, pc nic or pc firewall/installed software configuration causing the issue.

If you get to the web interface go to the wan interface and run a test or see what is there for ip address. Perhaps your isp has an issue or the modem is going bad.

This is all based on the assumption you are not virus, malware/spyware infected.

4. curbStormp

curbStormp Thread Starter

it's just one of the symptoms. If you want I can remove it entirely as its not the main issue. When I'm browsing the internet it will randomly disconnect

I will try this when it disconnects and update this thread

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/678003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice