1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New router, same issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sturgeon73, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sturgeon73

Sturgeon73 Thread Starter

Ok so recently the download speed of my pc has been reduced from around 30 mbps to anywhere ranging from 1-8mbps. My upload speed is nearly always around 10 mbps which I've been told is completely fine. When connecting to the modem with my pc via ethernet i receive around 220 mbps download so I'm assuming that means the isp side of things is in order (maybe?). The Netgear N300 wireless router is what we were using previously, and upon isp tech inspection he recommended that a new router be purchased seeing that ours was fairly old. Today we purchased a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, which i read multiple great reviews on, however our download speed is still the same. The netgear tech i talked to walked me through resetting the router/modem multiple times and also connecting to what I'm pretty sure is the public google dns server. None of which have helped. He recommended returning the router we just purchased as it may be faulty (I'm inclined to believe that since the same issue is happening with a separate router that it may not be the router at fault). I've attempted to change the qos priority of the desktop to maybe increase the speed by at least a bit, but that has not been successful. My knowledge of routers and ways to tweak them is extremely sub par and the technical support of netgear and my isp has not been very helpful thus far. Any recommendations on what route I should take to troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also, The difference between upload/download on wifi vs ethernet is non existent in this case, and the download speed reaches nearly 20 on mobile device speed test.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm having difficulty understanding the above. I think you are saying that a connection directly to the modem results in download of about 220 Mbps. Adding a router to the mix results in download of 30 Mpbs or less.

This sounds like a defective router or defective ethernet cable between modem and router.

I am assuming that the modem is really a modem, not a modem/router combo.

3. Sturgeon73

The modem is simply a modem. The same net issues that I was experiencing with my previous router have persisted with the router purchased two days ago. The cable is good, I've direct tested that exact cable with a laptop getting 200+ dl. Also, the mobile download is fantastic, no matter what connection (ethernet, 2.4g, or 5g wireless) the desktop dl is garbage, unless directly cabled to the modem.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The quotes are from posts # 1 and 3, respectively.

Is the "mobile device" the same in both quotes? Is it a tablet? Or laptop?

5. Sturgeon73

The mobile download speed of a laptop/smart phone have both been tested and receive on average 20-50 download speed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice