1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Router Trouble (Internet)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MorinKAshi, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MorinKAshi

MorinKAshi Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting my new D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (N+300, DIR-655) connect to the router. The process goes smoothly up until the point where it has me test my internet connection. At that point, it tells me to turn off my modem (Siemens Speedstream 4100 Ethernet ADSL), wait and turn it back on, and continue the set-up. What results is no "internet" light on my modem, pretty much ending the set-up.

I had also removed Broadjump, as it told me to delete or Disable it (I chose to delete).
    I hope someone could help me set this up, as the Tech Support on the D-Link only gives me a free period before I have to start paying.

Thank You

2. srhoades

srhoades

Did you test the connection once the light turns off? I believe the light turns off because the modem is bridging the internet to the router. The internet light on your router should turn on when the modem light turns off.

3. MorinKAshi

Yes. I set up the old router I was using and it worked Flawlessly.
    When I set it up with the new router it doesn't connect.

4. srhoades

srhoades

Connect with your old router and see if there is a newer firmware for your new one.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using the Speedstream in bridge (modem only) mode? If so, have you configured the D-Link's WAN correctly--probably PPPoE?

If you are using the Speedstream as modem/router the process should be to reset the D-Link to factory default settings, connect the Speedstream to the D-Link's WAN port and connect a computer to a D-Link LAN port. Then login to it and configure the wireless as desired.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And, yes, update the firmware before bothering to configure the new router.

7. MorinKAshi

Bridge Mode?
    It between the Desktop and the Wireless Routers, so I guess I am using it in Bridge Mode (I think).
    I'm going to try what you guys said today, and I'll get back, hopefully by today.

Although I do believe we tried PPPoE already, but it didn't work. We then tried it on DCHP.
    The wireless router will also be connection to a PS3, and a laptop, if that helps any.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think with networking that it is more confusing to think of a computer as the center of the universe. I like to think of the starting point as the internet access entering the residence (via phone line in your case). Connected to the phone line is a Speedstream 4100 modem/router; connected to the Speedstream is/are ...; etc.

9. MorinKAshi

Ah, Okay.
    It's the Phone Line to Speedstream; Speedstream to Wireless Router; Wireless Router to Desktop.

I just downloaded a new Firmware update. I'll be Starting this up now.

10. MorinKAshi

Okay, the Firmware update for the router is no good. It seems there isn't a new Firmware update as of yet.

I tried setting up in both DCHP(Is that right?) and PPPoE with no luck on the internet. The Green "Internet" light is still out while the others are good on the modem. At the moment, I am in normal DSL mode with my modem. I reset the D-Link router to factory settings at the moment. What do I do now?

EDIT: I reconnected the Belkin router (without set up) and it works fine.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If it's new (less than a year) then they should be supporting it.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, look at the status and WAN configuration pages for the Belkin. What kind of connection does it specify? If other than dynamic, what are the other settings? That's how the D-Link's WAN should be configured.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice