1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Router Trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alamoguy1812, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alamoguy1812

alamoguy1812 Thread Starter

Hello everyone :) Thanks in advance for attempting to help me out with this issue I'm having.

Okay, here we go.

My internet was getting pretty slow lately, and I mean Dial-up slow. Sometimes restarting the router seemed to make it go a bit faster, and thus my reasoning here was to just replace the old hand-me-down D-Link router that we were using. Went out to Best Buy, and because I am not that savvy with computers, I let the guy talk me into buying a Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router. I know that my internet connection probably isn't that fast for a router that's as good as this one, but I decided that hey, what the heck, it was on sale for a good price for having all the good specs.

I got home, unboxed it, and followed the directions to the letter. Turned off my modem (Embarq EQ-660R ADSL) and turned it back on, then pop in the Belkin Wizard CD. However, there was problems right from the start. My computer wouldn't recognize, or as it kept saying "Identifying Network", the router. It had a public park bench icon and the internet connection symbol in the system tray always had a blue circle around it saying "Identifying...". Well, the CD wizard got me connected and I typed the name and password it shipped with to access the router, and my computer got on, but it still said, even though I'm connected now, I'm connected to an "Unidentified Network/No Internet Access."

Thinking that it might just be my computer that was having a problem with the CD, I loaded the program onto my girlfriend's computer as well. Her's actually asked us if this was a home network, which we said yes to, and it never said "Identifying Network", but it still wouldn't allow us on the Internet. Doing some research, and after conversing with a friend, I decided to try and update the firmware, which I was successful in doing (Current Version: 1.00.10) but that didn't even work.

I'm not sure where to go next, and not being very savvy with the lingo, I'd have a hard time with the Belkin people on the phone, so I decided to come to you guys for help.

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Check the default IP addresses. Belkin uses 192.168.2.1 and I think Embarq uses the same.
    If both give you a 192.168.2.xx for you computer, you will need to change one of them. If you change the Belkin, the setup Wizard CD probaly won't work.

Directions for changing the Belkin. Embarq would be similar. Do this with the Belkin and Embarq disconnected.
    Access the setup pages, 192.168.2.1, in your browser. Go to LAN Settings and change the IP Address to 192.168.1.1. Reboot your computer.You would need to use the 192.169.1.1 address to access the divice from your computer.

Once the IP Address has been changed, you can then arttach the Belkin and Embarq and finish the setup..

3. alamoguy1812

alamoguy1812 Thread Starter

Thank you so much!! :)

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

You are welcome. If you problem is solved, you can mark it as such by clicking the "Marked Solved" button at top left of your first post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice