1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New router, voip phone adapter, modem connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by digimime, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digimime

digimime Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently got a new router and need a diagram or picture to connect it to the following: VOIP phone adapter, modem, computer. Or however I connect all of this stuff to get the router to work without losing Internet (high speed cable) or phone usage.:confused:

Thanks.:)

d

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you start with make/model of the modem, router, VoIP adapter. You can either just connect the VoIP adapter to a LAN port on the router, or connect the VoIP adapter between the modem and the router's WAN port. The second way is sometimes better for VoIP, but you may have to do some configuration of the VoIP adapter to allow port forwarding for such things as games and voice/video messenger applications.

BTW, I'm moving this to networking.

3. digimime

digimime Thread Starter

Trendnet TEW 432BRP router. RCA Comcast modem, DCM425C. Motorola adapter, VT 1005V. I wonder if I should just set up and configure the router, then add the adapter.:confused:

Thanks.
    d

4. JohnWill

I have that same VoIP adapter, I've had it connected both ways, in front of the router, and after the router. I now have a router with QoS, so I have it connected to a LAN port on the router, works fine.

It'll be easier to configure the modem and router, then add the VoIP adapter as a client on the router. OTOH, if you experience voice quality issues, you may want to connect it between the modem and the router, and then look into putting the router into the DMZ of the VoIP adapter so you can forward ports.

5. gurutech

gurutech

I have mine set up as:

DSL Modem -----> VOIP router ------> Wifi Router
    then all my PC's connect to the wifi router.

6. JohnWill

That's the setup for the best voice quality, but if you forward ports, you need to either punch holes in the NAT layer in the VoIP adapter, or put the router in the DMZ of the VoIP adapter.

7. digimime

digimime Thread Starter

John, I'm getting confused by the terms. DMZ sounds like something from the Vietnam War. NAT is probably something I won't get involved with but I'm curious.

I have another thought. All I really want to do is connect my laptop to my PC which is ten feet away. The complicator is the VOIP adapter. Or not?:confused:

Does an ethernet switch work like a USB hub? What about a coupler, or is that just for extension? I may already have the right cable, but can you tell me the specs needed?

Thanks for your help with this.:)

d

8. gurutech

gurutech

NAT = Network Address Translation - for example, you have 1 public IP address (assigned by your ISP), and more than 1 computer hooked up to a router/switch/etc... The router will in turn assign any computer that is connected to it it's own "private" IP address (usually 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x) Your computer (say it's 192.168.0.100) goes on the internet, but the internet sees your IP address as the one from your ISP (say 100.10.45.32).

DMZ = Demilitarized Zone (just like in Korea...) - this basically puts a PC or server that normally sits behind a firewall "out in the public", meaning the firewall does not protect that PC/Server the same way it protects the other pc's/servers.

I'm sure someone can explain these terms better than I can, but that's the definitions I was given when I learned.... Hope it helps!

9. JohnWill

Yes, an Ethernet switch is very similar in concept to a USB hub, just for networking. Try the simple connection scheme, and if the VoIP isn't an issue, use it that way. If you have voice quality issues, we'll have to get a bit fancier. :)

10. digimime

digimime Thread Starter

Thanks to you both!

11. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

12. digimime

digimime Thread Starter

Know what? I went back to my old router and everything is fine again. I was told that some brands/models just don't work with the VOIP adapters.

Thanks again for the help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/508430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice