1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New router with no connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by saxybone, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saxybone

saxybone Thread Starter

Hello. I have an Acer Aspire one netbook (so no CD drive) I'm currently stationed in Korea. My landlord has a line running in from outside for my internet, I bought a wireless router, plugged the line into the router, inputted the necessary information on screen. I have full signal but no connectivity. Please advise. thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi saxybone, and welcome to TSG.

Are you saying that you can see a strong wireless signal but can not connect wirelessly to the router -or- that you can wirelessly connect to the router, but you can not get an Internet connection through the router?

What kind of outside line did your landlord provide?

What is the brand and model number of the router?

What kind of onscreen information did you input? Please give details but not any specific user names or passwords.

3. saxybone

saxybone Thread Starter

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you don't know what kind of line is being provided, how do you know it is supposed to connect directly to your router?

Assuming the incoming line is some type of Ethernet connection. What does the front panel status light on the router do when you power up the router? This is the larger of the two front panel indicator lights. It should be in one of the following states:

Off: The Router is not plugged into a power source.

Blinking blue: The Router is starting up.

Solid blue: The Router is connected to the Internet.

Solid amber: The Router is connected to the modem but is not connected to the Internet.

Blinking amber: The Router can’t detect the modem. Either the modem is off, is not plugged into the Router, or is unresponsive.

Still awaiting your answer to my earlier question ...

5. saxybone

saxybone Thread Starter

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Just a few questions to add to those cwwozniak asked.

Does the Acer get internet if the incoming ethernet line is connected directly to it?
    If the direct connection works, open a command prompt window and run an ipconfig/all for the direct connection.
    Hold the Windows Logo key and type R to pull up a Run Window.
    Type cmd and click OK to get a Command Window.
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL and hit enter.

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Primarily interested in the IP Addresses for the Computer and Gateway with a direct connection. Possible IP Adress conflict. If they are in the 192.168.2.xxx range, then the Belkin's default LAN IP (192.168.2.1) will need to be changed.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The solid amber suggests that the router has a working Ethernet connection to whatever is on the other end of the line provided by your landlord. However we don't know what that other device is. It could be a simple broadband modem or perhaps, and more likely) a combination broadband modem and router. In addition to dlsayremn's questions and information requests, I have a few more questions:

What kind of screen needed you to put in the router model number?

What kind of screen needed you to put in the password? Was it the administration screen for your router or a password for something else?

Was the only information given to you by your landlord was some kind of password, with no other information about how you needed to set up your router or computer?

Are you by any chance quoting my posts and then typing in your answers inside of the tagged quoted text? If so, it is very confusing because the result is that is looks like your answer is part of what you are quoting from me. It also makes it very difficult to quote your reply in a new post.

8. saxybone

saxybone Thread Starter

The ACER doesnt internet with the line directly connected.

9. saxybone

saxybone Thread Starter

the ACER doesn't get direct connection. i entered the information provided by the help guide sold with the router.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You need to find out from your landlord how to configure the WAN/Internet settings of your router.

11. saxybone

saxybone Thread Starter

Thank You.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice