1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kaccenka, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaccenka

Kaccenka Thread Starter

Hi! I've taught myself everything I know so get ready for stupid questions. I had a Linksys router for years and decided to get a new Netgear N750 this week. I set it all up ready to create a new wifi network and there it was - my old network still broadcasting. I thought it was strange but what do I know, right? So I connected to it. I reconnected my other computer and everything was working fine. Until the main computer shut down. Next day it shut down 3 more times. This problem started when I installed the new router and no, the computer is not overheating. I found the wifi settings in the Netgear app and noticed that it's showing 2 networks under one channel and the word "crash" so obviously there is a conflict. I tried everything I could find online to delete the old network. I tried forgetting the network, used the the command prompt but the sucker keeps broadcasting. The 2 networks show up when I have both computers on. I tried deleting the network from my other computer but I can't because the "delete" button is not available. I can't figure out how to get rid of my old network on either of the computers. My common sense tells me the best thing is to start fresh and forget it all but I'm not able to do it. My main computer has Windows 8 and the other Windows 7. How do I reset everything? Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unplug the Linksys router or disable (turn off) its Wi-Fi.

3. Kaccenka

Kaccenka Thread Starter

The router is unplugged. That was the first thing I did.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, what device is "broadcasting your old network"?

5. Kaccenka

Kaccenka Thread Starter

Never mind, I figured it out. My neighbor is using the same network name and broadcasting on the same channel as me - #6 so I changed the channel.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Please change the network name and password. NEVER use the defaults - anyone can get into your network.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice