1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zack333, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zack333

zack333 Thread Starter

sry for lack of detail last time i wrote and lost my conection befor posting
    isp:eek:ptimum-cable
    router:linksys wrt55ag ver2
    modem:moterola surfboard-cable
    phone line through modem:yes

Ive had my wlan set up for some time now and was runing real smouth.until about a mounth ago i lost
    "internet"(web browisng,and eamil)conectivity,is was still conected to the network.
    sooo i did what most would do,rest the router and modem...problem solved right?
    well that lasts for about 1 to 18 hours befor a trip up to flights were the routers unconveintly located.
    after drinking a red-bull i used my superchared deduction skillz(from the comercial lol)
    1.no its not the nic or the computer or such
    2.its not the isp or cable
    3.its not any of the wires(unles ones conected loose and that the prob)but not the wires themselfs
    4.its not former president bushes fault-he is no longer in office and therore not covineint to blame.
    sooo is the router the problem???
    any helps always apreciated :D -and forgive my hellish spelling!!

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

probably, I have seen many routers and modems having similar problems, the only external cause i have seem is a lower than spec voltage/current rating on the modem/router power supply.

can you terminal the router still?
    does the internet work when you bypass your router and connect directly to the modem via ethernet?

c...

3. zack333

zack333 Thread Starter

as far as using the ethernet instead it varys from time too time (somtimes yes and somtimes no) but that would be a strong implication to what the problem might be, maybe its bouth on the routers end and the modem etc....... i think it might be some interference with my naighboors.. ive found what looks to be spoofed ap(acess pionts) and its concerning.i dont have any encryption on my network because of were im situated its not realy necesary and i can be gready when it comes to facing the minor spped reduction that comes along with :D it
    and i do have conection with my router and its settings

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice