1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Sata Disk showing up in my "User" Folder with Documents

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mycatsadiva, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mycatsadiva

mycatsadiva Thread Starter

New Sata Disk is showing up in my "User" Folder with Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. I installed a blank WD 1TB Sata disk for additional storage in my PC. After I began to place folders on the new drive I noticed that in my User folder (Click the Globe in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen --> go to your Name at the top of the population list --> click on your name and you're in your "User" explorer folder(s).

When I am in that folder, not only do you see Documents, Photos, Videos, Downloads and AppData, but there is also an icon of the new drive I installed there and I can't remove it. I have never noticed this before when I installed additional hard disks in other computers. What is this? Is it normal? How do I remove it?

I'm currently using Windows 7.

Thank you for any help you may have.

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can just leave it alone, it's not doing any harm.

3. mycatsadiva

mycatsadiva Thread Starter

Thank you "managed" for the reply. We have figured out what happened: the second drive is the new storage drive. We went to move the My Pictures folder to the new drive. We did not create a new folder, so when the My Pictures were moved, they went in the drive root. (ugh!) Attempted to "Restore" the My Pictures to their original location and received the "Access Denied" popup. Window's is not allowing for the My Pictures folder to be restored to it's original location and instead, the M:Drive is now where the My Pictures icon used to be. So, it looks like the new hard drive and the My Pictures folder traded places.

I understand that the My Pictures folder that was mistakenly rooted to the new drive was only the "shortcut" icon and not the folder under the User-->Cynthia-->navigation pane, but it's annoying all the same and it looks stupid. (Well, yes, it looks stupid because it was a stupid move to not create a folder in the new drive!) +%^^%$O!##f ...UGH!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice