1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New SATA hard drive driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bullinchinashop, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bullinchinashop

bullinchinashop Thread Starter

I just added a 750 GB Seagate SATA 300 hard drive as additional storage on my computer. The drive is connected to an Adeptec 1205 SA PCI controller card which is capable of 150 MB/S. I also have 1 DVD burner connected to one IDE slot on the motherboard. The other PCI slot has my C drive (PATA drive). I also have a 500 GB PATA Maxtor hard drive connected to a PCI ATA 133 controller card.
    MY problem is this :When I try to boot the computer with the SATA drive connected Windows freezes. The computer passes POST and sees the DVD burne and the C drive connected to the motherboard. It then sees the ATA 133 card and the card attatched to it. The problem comes when it gets to the SATA drive. Windows sees the SATA controller dard and the SATA drive attatched to it (It even displays the model number) but after that the computer just freezes.I don't get any kind or error messages or sounds when it happens the compute just freezes. If I push any buttons on the keyboard the computer just makes a chirping noise & if I reboot the same thing happens.
    The wierd thing is that if I unplug the data cable Windows boot fine. After Windows boots I can plug the data cable back in and the drive shows up in My Computer and I can write to it and read from it.
    I'm about ready to give up and take this drive back Monday.
    My computer is OLD (socket 423) and the BIOS doesn't have any options fro SATA drives.
    I'm wondering if the computer for some reason is trying to boot froom the SATA drive and then freezing because it isn't finding an OS?

2. bp936

bp936

you didn't say much about what else you have with your system, but I find in Win98 and also with Windows XP, if I have another harddrive starting up with the C: drive, Windows first checks the drives and it takes forever to load anything, but my screen does say: checking drive I: or F; etc for consistency.
    You have such huge drives, it will take a while to start anything. I don't know if that applies to your situation but the way you say, if it is not plugged in, it works well, and that would be the case, just like in my case.

3. kronus

kronus

If your computer wasn't finding an os it would tell you "non system disk or disk error." or some other note.

I wonder if it would work if you removed the ata133 controller card and left the sata controller. Also check that there is a jumper on the sata drive to limit it to sata150.

I would also be concerned that your power supply might be insufficient for so many drives.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If I understand your post, you have two controller cards install; an adaptec and the one for the maxtor. While you "Should" be able to do this, it often causes problems.
    There are cards that support both pata and sata; I would really look into having just one add-in controller card.

5. bullinchinashop

I took it back and got the ATA 100 drive. There is a slight pause when the computer recognizes the drrive but it's only about 1 second.

I had a drive that Windows kept saying it needed to check for consitency. That means that there's some kind of problem with the file system on the hard drive. I can't remember what I finally did to stop it. Check your data cables and make sure they aren't loose or frayed if you feel comfortable going inside your computer.

6. bullinchinashop

I tried disconnecting the drive from the ATA 133 controller card but I didn't take it out. I wish I'd thought to try that (The drive was supposed to take the place of the one on the ATA 133 card...)
    I also checked the jumper. It's put in place at the factory and a *&^*&^*&^% to take out (It's really tiny). That didn't help.

7. bullinchinashop

I started to do that. New Egg had one I think but I didn't want to risk spend another $50 - $75 on that card and having it not work either.
    My computer is pretty old so this could also be some kind of incompatibility...My motherboard isn't even listed on MSI's website anymore...It isn't even socket 478 it's socket 423...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/521074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice