1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New SATA Hard Drive, question......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaveFE, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Hey all,

I finally got around to installing the new Serial ATA (WD Raptor 36GB) hard drive. After a little ado, I got it loaded up with WinXP. My problem/question is, I have my other 60GB IDE Hard drive (WD), and want to have that as my secondary drive. I tried several things such as setting up the boot priority in the BIOS to start with SCSI (since that is the option that works when I have to use the manual boot menu), then have the IDE as the 2nd or 3rd priority (swapping CD-ROM as well). No matter what, the IDE keeps loading up first (it still has the OS and everything on there), with the SATA disk as a secondary. The jumper settings are correct as per the WD website for both the SATA (far left jumper on an 8 pin) and the IDE (middle jumper on a 10 pin). I tried several times swapping around the boot priorities in the BIOS, but no dice. The only way to get it to come up first is to do a manual boot priority (F8 for setup), the only problem with that is I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, and they don't work with that menu, I have to plug in my old keyboard to select the priority.

Any ideas?

MSI K7N2 Delta (on-board audio)
    AMD AthlonXP 3200+
    1 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800XT
    WD Raptor 36GB Serial ATA HD
    WD 60 GB IDE HD
    Logitech MX Duo Wireless mouse and keyboard
    KlipschTHX 3.1 with Subwoofer

2. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

And now my computer keeps locking up as well.

Can anyone help??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/256680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice