1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Sata harddrive issue.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Teban, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teban

Teban Thread Starter

Hey guys new to the forum, hope you can help. I just received my new sata 1.5 terabyte drive from newegg. I currently have an 80 gig Sata for my OS and a 1 terabyte sata for everything else 90% filled. Ok so here's the last hour of my day. Put it in booted up windows, pop up says " Mr Steve your good to go" then I look in my computer? Nothing? but the two other drives are there, so I look in device manager, and it's there. Now for some reason I choose to reboot, My friends that's the last I ever saw of that drive. Now for some reason when I do get it to boot to windows with the drive connected it removes my other storage drive. If I unplug new drive and reboot it's back. Now the last things I can mention, is that I've tried 1.5ing the drive with a jumper, that did nothing. I've tried different data ports and sata cables and power. Nada!!! I'm not to savvy with bios so I'm hoping that's not it, BUT i have no problem play around with it.

2. Teban

Teban Thread Starter

Side note I've removed the 1 terabyte storage drive all together, and went into bios the primary is the only thing listed.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible you have a bad drive.

Download the drive maker's utility for testing drives. Most have a boot or dos version and a windows version. Download the boot version. Make the bootable CD. Now shutdown and pull the pw connectors from both of your working drives; leave just the new or problem drive connected. Restart with the boot CD you made in the CD drive. The diagnostic app should start. Have it check the drive. Note most of these have a short and a long test; do both.

Post back the results of the tests.

4. Teban

Teban Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, however I just finished doing exactly that. Dead drive, oh well!! Hey thanks for your time in the matter. Keep up the good work!!! Steve

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

At least you found out the cause. What type of drive did you install ie WD, Seagate, etc.

6. Teban

Teban Thread Starter

It was a daily deal over at newegg, WD 1.5 ecogreen.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW with WD, always buy the black series of drives. They cost a few $ more however they are much better built.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice