1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New school/oldschool networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by clintonbrits, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clintonbrits

clintonbrits Thread Starter

I've been trying to setup a two terminal access system for a database application over ethernet. The propblem i have is that the one pc i'm using uses windows 98 and the other windows 7. I've resigned to the fact that win 98 cannot access network shares on the windows 7 machine eventhough it works the other way around.

Not being a person of much network experience i just wanted to ask if anyone knows if this limitation also applies to tcp/ip applications such as network games and network applications. I did build a small network chat application using indy in delphi a few years and it worked without a problem when we ran windows 98 and xp on two different machines or when i run the client and server on windows 7. When i try and connect to the server app on the windows 7 machine i get no response as though it's being ignored.

I have tried all the fixes to get windows 98 more up to speed and i've allowed the server app through the windows 7 firewall with no firewall/similar on the 98 machine (formatted and clean install).

Is this also not a possibility given the age and version difference or is there setting/workaround to get a connection?

Thanks in advance
    Clinton Brits

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

First question, 98 or 98SE?
    Second question,can the 98 see the Win7?
    Not sure about Win7, but with Vista from a 98SE computer uising simple sharing. just had to add a password for the 98 user account.

3. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

I am hoping for a 98 se. Simple sharing on the network should not be a problem for the win7 to see a 98 os. Just out of curiosity, why not up the 98 to 2k to open the compability ot the machine?

The real trick is for the win 98 to see a win7.

I have vista, win7 64 and 2 xp's that can see each other, just had to make sure that everyone is in the same home group and on the same lan.

4. clintonbrits

clintonbrits Thread Starter

Alas, it's windows 98 and not 98 SE. The network appears absolutely fine at first sight, the win 7 machine sees the win 98 machine and vice versa. There were initially problem with with win98 machine asking for a network password but i disabled the account passwords on the win7 machine to prevent this but i an error arises when it sends the request to view win 7 shares. I would love to upgrade to windows xp 200 etc but the machine isnt capable of running anything more than 98 which is why im trying to get a work around.

I had a random stumble upon today and one possibility is to get tinyXP with network drivers on the 98 machine which essentially is like connecting an xp machine with windows 7 which seems more plausible. I might have to sacrifice a lot of xp features but the tinyXP will offer exactly what the 98 does and in some cases more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!