1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New screen and integrated webcam not working (Samsung laptop NP 300E5C)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by luna123, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luna123

luna123 Thread Starter

Hi

I recently got my laptop screen replaced. Although the integrated webcam is connected as the light comes on and there is an image, it is not clear.

I have attached an image.

As soon as I realised the webcam was not working I took it back to the repair shop and they checked the connections and said everything is fine.

The tech support of the company that sold me the screen said to reinstall the screen as maybe the wires are not connected properly. However, the repair shop guy said everything is connected and the webcam itself is connected. He said they can reinstall the screen but if there is nothing wrong on their part (i.e. they have connected it properly) I will have to pay.

The repair shop guy said he thinks that the webcam captor got damaged when I broke the screen.

Do you have any advice? I do not want to get it reinstalled only to find everything is connected and have to pay again.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am not at all a technical person so please bear with me!!!

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Hello, Luna123! Generally, your shop would probably just replace the LCD panel (not the entire display unit) and that shouldn't involve dealing with connections for the webcam, sound, etc. You might have damaged the webcam, depending on what you did to break the unit, but it would be helpful to know if only the panel was replaced, or the display unit. Most of the replacement display units are used, so you might inherit somebody else's problems.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the webcam software? Worth a shot, but I think the camera may be damaged. Try connecting an external USB webcam if you can borrow one. So, if only the LCD was replaced, it's unlikely (though not impossible) that the tech broke the webcam. Replacing the built in camera is requires not just a replacement camera board, but a moderate amount of labor. You might just consider an external camera as a replacement, even if it's more annoying to use.

3. luna123

luna123 Thread Starter

Hi Snagglegaster, thank you for replying!

The shop just replaced the LCD panel. The screen broke as I left my earphones on the keyboard and partly closed the lid. The laptop was on my desk and I stupidy threw my very heavy bag on it because it was dark and I forgot it was there only to hear a horrible cracking sound. Turned on the laptop and there was a massive internal crack... lines and a big black mark. So there was a lot of pressure on on one point of the screen. Hope that makes sense!

I do not have acces to an external USB webcam but I was going to buy one. Would it work? For some reason I cannot uninstall the stock programme (says Skype is running when I am sure it isn't) but I have tested with Sype etc but it is still the same.

4. luna123

luna123 Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I installed another webcam software and it is working! Altough the image is not a clear as I remember...

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Well, That could be an issue with the software your are using. Any test images or the like you see might even be at lower resolution than the people you connect to will see. At least, that means the webcam is still functional.

The error message that Skype is still running when you try to uninstall your old software just means that you have some Skype processes still running which you should be able to close in Task Manager. It isn't unusual to see programs you've closed, that leave an updater or other background process running.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice