New Seagate HD with old Quantum Fireball as Slave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

myrc60

Today I installed my new Seagate 160Gb drive which I intend to replace my old Quantum Fireball as it is showing wear and tear. Got Seagate working wonderfully well as Master but am having trouble getting Quantum to read as a slave. I'm using the IDE cable for both drives and have removed the jumper from the Seagate. What else do I need to do? I read about setting BIOS but I don't know how or what to do with that and when. Thanks for your help.

Have you tried Cable Select on both drives? Might be worth a try.

myrc60 said:
Today I installed my new Seagate 160Gb drive which I intend to replace my old Quantum Fireball as it is showing wear and tear. Got Seagate working wonderfully well as Master but am having trouble getting Quantum to read as a slave. I'm using the IDE cable for both drives and have removed the jumper from the Seagate. What else do I need to do? I read about setting BIOS but I don't know how or what to do with that and when. Thanks for your help.
First make sure you have the jumper on the Seagate as master. It sounds like you removed the jumper. Next jumper the Quantum as slave. :eek:

myrc60

I like the cable select method! So I would place jumper in that spot for both drives? Will I have to change my BIOS? I looked and slave was set as auto detect and that is why I thought it would just work from the start.

myrc60 said:
I like the cable select method! So I would place jumper in that spot for both drives? Will I have to change my BIOS? I looked and slave was set as auto detect and that is why I thought it would just work from the start.
What OS are you running?

I don't know where I read it but I did read somewhere that certain old drives could not be set as slave. I believe I remember seagate being mentioned. It has been awhile since I saw it.

If it's any help, I've got an old 40gig, quantum fireball in my daughter's computer, and it's been awhile, but it seems I had to set it to CS to get the operating system to recognize it. But this is on XP home and the drive is the only one in the computer so running as master.

myrc60

Funny you should mention that optout. When Quantum was Master jumper was set as CS. Right now Seagate (Master) is set as Master and Quantum (Slave) is not recognized cause I unplugged the IDE cord from it. I'm getting tired of unscrewing and screwing screws in and looking for shortcuts. I will try Quantum as CS with Seagate at Master later today. I'm tired. Goodnite!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online