1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New Seagate HDD Boots Up and Shutsdown very Slowly.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by havecoolth, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. havecoolth

havecoolth Thread Starter

I recently installed a Seagate HDD Model: ST1000DM003-1CH162, Serial: Z1DDFCEY, Firmware: CC49. It boots up and shutsdown very slowly. The SATA setting is set to AHCI in UEFI Bios. My mother board is an AsRock Z97 Extreme 4. I am using the latest firmware and no updates are available. I created the disk using Copy Drive in Casper 7.0 from my Samsung SSD. How can I resolve this issue ?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

SSD drives and mech drives use a different partition offset. I have no idea if the drive utility you used will apply the correct offset.

Is there some reason why you would not use the free version of acronis true image? This is available on the seagate site.
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

3. havecoolth

I did use seagate's discwizard true imaging at first and the same thing happened. I had Casper 7.0 prior to the install
    and tried it to see if any thing changed but I got the same result. I also used SeaToolsforWindowsSetup and the hdd
    passes the tests. I have not ran the long tests: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Any suggestions other than a clean Windows 7 install ?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Honestly I have never heard of anyone attempting to clone from a ssd back to a mech hd. I will see if another mod has any ideas.
    When you say it boots and shuts down slowly, exactly how slowly? A mech hd is going to take 2~3 times the boot time.

5. havecoolth

I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB. The reason I wanted to clone it was because I needed more
    room for my Steam games since the 250GB won't hold much. I purchased the 1TB Seagate in order to
    run my games from Steam.

Currently the SSD works fine but the Seagate 1TB takes about 5 minutes to boot and about 5 minutes to shutdown.
    Once the 1TB HDD boots up it operates without any issue.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I never use steam so there might be a reason why you cannot do the following; however why not just install the games on the mech hd. You can have more than one drive in a system. Your os can be on the ssd and whatever games, etc on the mech drive.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. havecoolth

Thanks. I will use the Seagate 1TB HDD to store my games folder. I tried several methods to clone the the SSD to
    the HDD but it always boots up and shutdown slowly using the Acronis True Image, EaseUs Partition Master and even Casper.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There'd be several normal reasons for the slower boot and shutdown; first would be that SSD's are massively faster than HDD's so that's likely the biggest reason, second being that the system is optimized for an SSD with several services such as prefetch/superfetch, disk defrag, etc not being enabled since those are disabled when you install to an SSD and they don't automatically get re-enabled when moved to an HDD.

10. havecoolth

Thanks again and I guess I will mark this post as solved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice