Tech Support Guy banner

New section needed?

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  User55555555587 
#1 ·
I see questions from time to time on Chromebooks and the ChromeOS.
There is a question in software about a Chromebook which really is not the proper place to ask about Chromebook problems.
Chromebooks aren't android mobile and not linux either. So putting them in either of those spots doesn't seem like a good fit.
Other android mobile devices doesn't seem good either. People ask questions about Nook and Kindles there, even though they aren't mobile devices.
I'm not sure they should go into hardware either.

Perhaps the other mobile devices could be re-titled as other devices: smart watches, Nooks, Kindles, Chromebooks, GPS devices?

Throw out some thought please on what would be a good fit.

#2 ·
#3 ·
#5 ·
I think Other Mobile Devices should cover anything that doesn't fit into the other specific mobile device forums, including ChromeBooks, watches and GPS as they are all mobile.

The exception being laptops since they are more common and get posted in the regular forums along with desktops.

#9 ·
I think "DOS/Other: legacy and DOS systems" should be renamed to just "Other operating systems" to avoid confusion.
Why? because currently "DOS/Other..." is not very active sub forum, people think it applies to DOS and legacy systems only, not many people use DOS or really old systems.

First option is worse than second because it applies only to mobile devices.

I vote for none because there already is "Other mobile devices" subforums which includes mobile Chrome OS, what is missing is expanding "DOS/Other" to just "Other operating systems", which would include ChromeOS that is not part of "Other mobile devices" nor "DOS/Other: legacy and DOS systems"

Obviously both "Other mobile devices" and "Other operating systems" clearly already separate Chrome OS mobile and Chrome OS on non mobile devices. only subforum clarifiaction is needed to let users know.

#10 ·
Ok, the confusing English language has my definition of mobile not meaning mobility/portability.
We talk about the main mobile carriers in the US so I always associate mobile devices as those bits of hardware using a mobile ISP and limited my definition to phones not other hand-held devices.
I'll have to watch that I don't make that mistake.

#11 ·
We talk about the main mobile carriers in the US so I always associate mobile devices as those bits of hardware using a mobile ISP and limited my definition to phones not other hand-held devices.
That's what I thought too all the time, didn't notice "Phones and tablets" in subforum description.

But your request is valid, because Chromebooks are not part of "DOS/Other" nor "mobile devices" according to subforum description, currently there is no place for chromebooks right now, which are notebooks (or laptops)

#12 ·
While ChromeOS is based on Linux, most users wouldn't know it. MacOS is based on Linux as well, but most people wouldn't go to the Linux forum to discuss it. I'm not sure that we have enough people posting about ChromeOS to necessitate a separate forum just yet, but I like the idea of renaming "DOS/Other" to just "Other operating systems." Any opposition to that idea?

#13 ·
While ChromeOS is based on Linux, most users wouldn't know it. MacOS is based on Linux as well, but most people wouldn't go to the Linux forum to discuss it. I'm not sure that we have enough people posting about ChromeOS to necessitate a separate forum just yet, but I like the idea of renaming "DOS/Other" to just "Other operating systems." Any opposition to that idea?
Sounds good to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.