New Security Patch Out Today

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

toddsyr

Microsoft today released a new security patch for older Windows versions.

toddsyr

At the very least the patch applies to Win98, 98SE, and I believe ME also. Just run Windows Update and apply any Critical Updates that appear.

just went to microsoft and besides the new patch which appears to be KB903235 the microsoft scan for updates says I need KB891711 which is that one so many people had problems with. if I go into my "close program" file "ctrl,alt,delete" it says that KB 891711 is already running. should I, delete KB891711 and dowload it again along with KB903235 ? or just forget it, and bypass it each time I check for updates? and why does the microsoft scan say I need to download it, if it's already running? is it really running? I emailed microsoft about this and never got an answer. now after downloading kb903235, kb891711 is gone from the "close program" box -???? is that what kb903235 was for? is to remove KB891711? :confused: :confused: :confused:

toddsyr

KB891711 seems very troublesome to me. When it came out, I installed it. After reading about it, I uninstalled it, but it stilled showed up in MSCONFIG/STARTUP. I disabled it there and have had no future problems with it. After installing KB903235 on 7-12-05, it stills shows up under MSCONFIG/STARTUP, though it remains unchecked. If it was supposed to remove it, it failed. I believe if KB903235 had anything at all to do with KB891711, it simply disables it. More than likely, they are two different animals for the same circus.

KB891711 dated after 4/12/05 is ok as I understand it. If dated prior it can cause some problems. Remove the prior to 4/12/05. Ck on the date. Remove from,via add/remove in control panel,or Msconfig, and do a search/find for any remnants and remove. I also have seen it show up in HijackThis, which can show you where it resides. Again be sure it's the old one. You can always download the new if you accidently remove the new one.
Good Luck.

toddsyr

Thanks iaavagent for the new info on KB891711. As you stated, just removing it through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS isn't enough. That's all I did awhile back to remove it after it started acting up. After reading your above post about a newer version of KB891711, I removed it again with ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, I then ran Easy Cleaner ( free fromToni Arts ) and it removed the registry entry for KB891711 also. After a re-boot, I went to Windows Update and installed the newer version of KB891711. All seems well so far.

well, kb891711 is not showing up in my close program (ctrl, alt, delete) menu anymore and when I go over to microsoft for an update, it scans my computer and shows there is no critical update required anymore, so downloading kb902235 had something to do with making kb891711 invisible from the "close program" menu. I would assume if kb891711 was gone (deleted) that the scan for updates from microsoft would show that I needed to download it, as it did with the 2 updates earlier when it showed I needed both kb891711 and kb902235. kb891711 does shows up under "running tasks" --microsoft system info---software enviroment---running tasks and it is checked in the start-up portion of the system configuration utility (msconfig) but not under the "close program" (ctrl-alt-delete) box anymore, so I guess it's working. who knows?

jrx10,
It may be that you have the newer version of KB891711. I think one of the many problems with the old one was that it did show up in the close program {cad} box.
You may want to check the date on the one you have,just to be sure. although it sounds as if you have the newer corrected one.
Take care.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online