1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New set of eyes needed

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Temagami, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

Hey all,

I'm trying to make a header for a friend of mine and I have the menu on the left finished - now I'm trying to make the rest of the header look "business like" however, his logo is really "cartoonish"

Anyone have any ideas or graphic which could help? What do you think of this:

http://thompson.kingpinhosting.com/back/crankeng.html

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am assuming that you are assuming that people don't use script blockers. I have the NoScript Firefox Add-on and I don't see the menu.

3. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

Well the menu is a flash (.swf) file. So if people wish to block flash then they can not see the site - I have no problem with that. That's their choice.

4. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

Like Temagami said, it's a .swf file and it works fine without Javascript (though I wouldn't dismiss users without flash so quickly).

I think a modern-looking logo, perhaps only containing text and possibly a gradient to blend in with the rest of the page. Also it would look more professional if when one of the thumnails was clicked, it took the user to a gallery page, rather than the actual image file.

5. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

What did it do when you clicked the image? I have it set up with the "lightbox" script. Did you not see that effect? Someone told me that when they clicked on the lures that it just opened up on a new page but they were using Internet Explorer v. 6.1 - so far that is the only browser which does that.

Sorry - I pulled down the header I had up - it was embarrassing. I think I'll try a logo page thing and then a fade in and out sldeshow...

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I absolutely hate web sites that play music automatically. I didn't even bother looking at the site once that started.

7. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

When I click on the link in your original post, music plays.

9. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

Oh you mean that little 1.5 second "swooshing-in" sound? Well it's hardly music - but if you think I should take it out - could be an idea. Do you think I should take the little click sound out also?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's incredibly annoying to have a website play a sound clip every time it's loaded. I watch videos or listen to music while I'm on the computer. I don't appreciate it when web developers think their sounds should take precedence over my choices.

11. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

I agree with DoubleHelix - it is slightly annoying even if the sound is only a couple of seconds long.

It was because I had javascript disabled. I would still inplement a gallery page for those who don't have javascript because it would add to the professionalism of your site.

12. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

I'll take the swoosh in sound off the site (when I can get to my work computer where the files are). So people are turning off Java Script eh? What percentage do you figure? I was online today for a couple hours and I came across 4 sites that used "lightbox" for their pictures - even big sites like propertyguys.com are using it. So, people who turn off their script can't see ANY of that?

Well... my target audience are fishermen who are looking for a good tournament lure. Being part of a professional fishing club myself, I don't know anyone in the club who even know how to access "options" in thier browser ;-) So it's not too much of an issue for me anyhow.

13. dannyn

dannyn

Good choice on the sound. That is just annoying.

14. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

It's actually a surprisingly large amount of people that turn javascript off or use a blocker like NoScript (and a few use browsers that don't support it). But as your site functions perfectly well without it, it isn't that important to provide an alternative - it's just good practice and would make your site better for those without Javascript. You mentioned propertyguys.com - when Javascript is disabled, you can't even see the images on the page.

15. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

Well, like I said I'm not too concerned with those people who turn off javascript - most of the people who are looking at these lures are from the various fishing clubs we are affiliated with and many of them are still on dialup - they would not have a CLUE as how to turn it off (seriously).

The site is on hold for now anyhow seeing as I can't figure out how to make their cartoon logo look a little more business like - and the need to send me copy and graphics (which I'm still waiting on)

However, I did come up with the workings of the index page: http://thompson.kingpinhosting.com/back/ Yes yes... I know the sound is still in there - I haven't had any time to get to my swish files. I'm running xp64 on my home machine here and swish doesn't seem to work on it (nor does itunes) so I have to access it from work where I use Vista 32 bit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice