1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Siemens Speedstream ADSL/Ethernet Modem keep booting up automatically

Discussion in 'Networking' started by highspeed, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

I have a brand new Siemens Speedstream ADSL/Ethernet but my problem is, it keeps rebooting by itself automatically making my internet connection go slow and am worried about this.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. hermes

hermes

Do other electrical items loose power intermittently at the same power source? If not, take it back and get it replaced, the memory may be faulty, or it may be over heating - bad fan? I guess it is pretty hot in accra, what is the ventilation/environment like?

3. invalidusername

invalidusername

Before you take it back, try a fresh location away from where it is to eliminate any RFI problem.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you don't have electrical issues, my guess is the unit is defective. There's no way it should spontaneously reboot.

5. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

No, the Siemens Speedstream ADSL?Ethernet Modem has an AC adaptor connection port at the back and also a telephone port for DSL(looks like a USB connection) and ethernet USB port. Also there is a USB port then a reset hole, all at the back.
    The AC port connects with an AC adaptor then plugged into a socket behind the wall.

6. JohnWill

How does that address the possibility of electrical power issues?

7. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

Don't understand please?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The other guys are saying that you either have electrical power issues or a bad modem.

I can think of two possible electrical problems.

a. You lose power briefly. If you plugged a lamp into the same place you have the modem you would see the light flicker off. Or, as hermes asked, "Do other electrical items loose power intermittently at the same power source?"

b. You suffer brief brownout. By brownout I mean that the voltage drops. This is just about guaranteed to happen on any circuit that includes a freezer, refrigerator or air conditioner. The wiring was so bad in some of the dumps I've lived in that a 60-watt bulb could cause a power dip. If the voltage reduces enough, even briefly, it will be the same as if you had unplugged the modem and then quickly replugged.

You want to make sure that neither of these electrical issues is the problem before you demand a new modem.

9. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

I have a voltage stabilizer and the modem is plugged directed to a switch at the back of the stabilizer.

10. invalidusername

invalidusername

Pick the modem up, take it to another location that is totally on a different circuit breaker. Plug it in, if it does the same thing, as they said above, it is defective. If it keeps rebooting, and there is no chacne to get inside and upgrade the drive, nothing else can be done. RFI means Radio frequecny interfernce. It can get in "induced" (through air) or it can get in "conducted" (through wires). Changing location is to eliminate the possibiliy of RFI. For example, the transformer adapter that converts the ac to dc for modem can also goes bad and cause problem (produce "dirty" voltage).

11. hermes

hermes

I asked a Ghanaian guy i know and he reckons that you are suffering brown-outs. I would balance up what your loss expectancy is against the cost of a backup generator's cost.

12. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

What do you mean by brown-outs hermes?

13. JohnWill

Brown-outs are when the A/C power dips below about 80% of nominal voltages for your area. For the US, for instance, the nominal power is 120VAC. So if our power dipped below 95 VAC (or thereabouts), you'd start to see things like lights dimming, A/C compressors stalling, and computer power supplies dissipating more heat trying to keep the voltages at their proper level. This is a "brown-out".

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I discussed brownouts internal to your own electrical circuits. Hermes expanded that to your external supply, outside your control.

Add to JohnWill's description that a brownout could cause your Siemens Speedstream ADSL/Ethernet to reboot by itself.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!