New software created "Unknown Device"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alphamorph

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I downloaded Avast! 5.0 today. While completing installation, a window popped indicating that my system recognized new hardware and required a driver. I cancelled out of it; continued with installation and completed serial number installation.
On rebooting, the system again recognized new hardware and wanted the drivers.
An annoyance, so I went into device manager and saw that I now had an "unknown device" listing. When I sought more details, it listed the device under Device Instance Id as ROOT\LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS\0000

How do I remove this "Device" and could there be consequences for doing so?

Thanks,
Al

daz1

Banned
think its scanner driver so you should not have cancelled out of it , if you reinstall avast it should give you an option to repair if not just reinstall it

alphamorph

Thank you for replying to my help request.
Like everyone with a problem, I couldn't wait for a reply and felt that I had to do something immediately. This is usually the wrong thing to do but in this case, I chose to restore to the previous day. All issues immediately disappeared and I was left at the point of reinstalling the Avast! again. But before risking a repeat of the problem, I called Avast! and found that they use IYogi as their support unit. What incredibly excellent service! The guy was absolutely masterful and searched through my entire registry discovering all kinds of left over crap that was corrupting my new installation. It took about 90 minutes but the problem was solved.
He ended the call by wishing me good karma and I admit that ever since, I've been feeling pretty good.

You can just go to the add/remove and click Avast and your get option to repair.

You could of posted here and got help for free and not paid "IYogi" for help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts